Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Disconnects: Does Length Matter?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Disconnects: Does Length Matter?

Just installed some Steinjager J0030554 Quick Disconnects, and at minimum length, they are about 1/2" longer than the stock links:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	672784

They were sold to fit 0" to 2" lift. I'm a little disappointed they aren't adjustable to exact OEM length, but I'm studying the anti-sway bar and clearances, and can't really come up with a reason 1/2" matters. Any concerns?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just cycle the suspension and see if it hits anything on the way up, doubt it will. I wouldnt necessarily be concerned with it unless it was going to hit something but then again I haven't had mine connected for 2 years.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Just installed some Steinjager J0030554 Quick Disconnects, and at minimum length, they are about 1/2" longer than the stock links:

Attachment 672784

They were sold to fit 0" to 2" lift. I'm a little disappointed they aren't adjustable to exact OEM length, but I'm studying the anti-sway bar and clearances, and can't really come up with a reason 1/2" matters. Any concerns?
Assuming you're going to disconnect them when off roaring/flexing, it won't make a difference.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Rather than telling us how long the new links are compared to the stock links, how parallel to the frame/ground are the swaybars?

The usual recommendation is to have those bars +/- 5 degrees from parallel, with an upward angle being better than a downward angle. Having the swaybars sloping steeply down, especially when running longer shocks, can cause the swaybar to flip around - which generally gives a nice photo op...

This is of course assuming that you are drooping the suspension without disconnecting. Like on a lift at the shop, as a few people have found.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like it was said, just check that the links have enough clearance when the cycle.Other than that, 1/2" won't matter much.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Rather than telling us how long the new links are compared to the stock links, how parallel to the frame/ground are the swaybars?

The usual recommendation is to have those bars +/- 5 degrees from parallel, with an upward angle being better than a downward angle. Having the swaybars sloping steeply down, especially when running longer shocks, can cause the swaybar to flip around - which generally gives a nice photo op...

This is of course assuming that you are drooping the suspension without disconnecting. Like on a lift at the shop, as a few people have found.
This is the key. The installer on my prior LJ had the sway bar ends pointing downward and the bar flipped to forward. Some upward angle on the sway bar ends is best.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nthinuf View Post

Originally Posted by bbolander
This is the key. The installer on my prior LJ had the sway bar ends pointing downward and the bar flipped to forward. Some upward angle on the sway bar ends is best.
I looked, and its pitched up about 1/4" over the 12" moment arm span, for an angle around 1.2 degrees. If the originals are 1/2" shorter, that would mean it was pitched down before I added the longer disconnects? That doesn't sound correct. Any ideas how that can be? Not sure what's going on, but it appears to be functional as-is. Also, I drove it around and at highway speed disconnected - reminded me of my old CJ's.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964
I looked, and its pitched up about 1/4" over the 12" moment arm span, for an angle around 1.2 degrees. If the originals are 1/2" shorter, that would mean it was pitched down before I added the longer disconnects? That doesn't sound correct. Any ideas how that can be? Not sure what's going on, but it appears to be functional as-is. Also, I drove it around and at highway speed disconnected - reminded me of my old CJ's.
Sway bar link length doesn't need to be an exact science. You'd much rather have it angled up just a bit than down as previously mentioned. There is nothing wrong with how it is now having the links be just a bit longer than what was on there before. The only real difference you're going to tell is how much more pleasant disconnecting is!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Sway bar link length doesn't need to be an exact science. You'd much rather have it angled up just a bit than down as previously mentioned. There is nothing wrong with how it is now having the links be just a bit longer than what was on there before. The only real difference you're going to tell is how much more pleasant disconnecting is!
Absolutely correct - much much smoother ride. Since disconnecting this weekend, I've taken ramps at speed, commuted 30 minutes via interstate, crossed the ditch in my front yard to load up some equipment at the front door, etc. I'm driving with respect, not to create a heavy roll situation, but the rear swaybar appears to add plenty of control. Thanks all for the advice -

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Disconnects: Does Length Matter?