Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

swaybar link question

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaybar link question

i was thinking of ordering the RC BB and it doesnt come with different sway bar links. my question is do i really need them ?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Take the rears off and put them up front. Then just get some longer ones for the back end. If not, you stand the chance of being at full droop with your links straightened out and in line with your sway bar. If you quickly flex back up, it could break and/or bend your link or even mess up your sway bar. There needs to be an angle at that junction even when they are fully stretched out.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

The RC 2.5" only lifts the rear 2", not actually 2.5"...is it still necessary?

I've got the 1.75" RC spacer in the rear of mine, and have had no problems yet.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess this size might be just under "the limit" but why chance it? Extended links are pretty inexpensive. Dont you wonder why the majority of lifts offer them as part of their kit? At 2" maybe it isnt a "need" but I would make it a "will get anyway, but not an emergency."

Why did Mopar make the links the exact length they did when they designed your Jeep? Why didnt they make those links 2" shorter from the plant and shave a few pennies off of their costs? You just lifted it 2", I think you should try to keep all of the factory geometry, angles, lengths and ratios the same. We may not understand it all, but there are usually pretty good reasons behind the "why" things are done the way they are done.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

if i go with this lift what size links should i get for the rear ? and someone at my job told me i would need new bumpstops as well is the also true cuz if that is the case ill just pay a lil more money and get the teraflex kit instead
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dpost82
if i go with this lift what size links should i get for the rear ? and someone at my job told me i would need new bumpstops as well is the also true cuz if that is the case ill just pay a lil more money and get the teraflex kit instead
Are you getting the Rough Country 2.5" with shock extensions or the one with the 2.2 shocks? If it's with the 2.2 shocks, then they have built in bumpstops on the shocks so there's no need for extra ones.

Now, if it's the one with the extensions then yeah the Teraflex might be a better deal...unless you could get some FREE bumpstops off of a friend's truck like I did.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

I changed mine and hated the on-road handling and am using stock links with 2.5" Skyjacker lift now . Off road you need the longer links for better suspension movement.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes. If not, you stand the chance of being at full droop with your links straightened out and in line with your sway bar. If you quickly flex back up, it could break and/or bend your link or even mess up your sway bar.

this could happen
driver side

passenger side

now i am going to remove the spacers and take it to the dealer and attempt to get it under waranty.

Quick Reply: swaybar link question