Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swing out tire carrier

Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swing out tire carrier

what swing out tire carrier are people running that attachs to the jeep body or evo rear armor that can support a 37 inch tire. i would like to get rid of my bumper and swing out tire carrier

thanks guys

im looking for somthing that does not attach to the bumper, somthing like the or fab but more heavy duty. i want to get rid of my bumper

Last edited by willypapooh; 02-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

I'm getting a Switchblade from HD Customs. Should go on next week. In addition to carrier operates with jeep gate, there is a built in rear winch.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willypapooh
what swing out tire carrier are people running that attachs to the jeep body or evo rear armor that can support a 37 inch tire. i would like to get rid of my bumper and swing out tire carrier

thanks guys

im looking for somthing that does not attach to the bumper, somthing like the or fab but more heavy duty. i want to get rid of my bumper
aare you trying to get rid of the bumper completely?

the switchblade looks like a good thing. still attatches to the bumper but swings witht the gate.

u do not want a 37 hanging on your gate unless u want to start popping welds. there are reasoins why people are not making them to attach to the gate
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Heavier duty than the Or-Fab? I mean, the tubing is round, but it is stout. I don't think there's anything else that isn't attached to a bumper that is mass produced. I'm sure you could get one bare, and weld more stuff on it if you really felt a need.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 PM
JK Freak

looks like the or fab swing away is what u want if it withstand a 37
curious, why do you want to get rid of your bumper. unless u are building something it makes absolutely no sense to do that

edit: found that it will handle up to a 35. a 37 mayput it too low and u would have to get rid of bumper to fit it or a cut out bumper
but my tire carrier said 35 and im running 37 on it. been fine so far

Last edited by captjay; 02-14-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:04 PM
JK Freak

Default what i want

this is exactly what i am looking for its made by off road evloution but they do not sell it. i e-mailed them earlier today about getting one and i hope to get a response tommorow. i have the shitty built XRC and it chaches on every thing.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM
JK Freak

IMO unless u are running atleast 40's, the rear bumper needs to be there. dude, with 37's u are going to catch alot of body damage on the rear. and i hope u plan on never getting stuck or needing to hook up on the rear to anything unless u have some type of custom tow hooks made. just ,my way of thinking.

i understand what u are getting at, but i think u would regrett not having a bumper back there. there are better bumpers with better angles on them
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 PM
JK Freak

i will be getting the steel rear fenders with the steel tubing on the bottom just like in the pic. i will also be taking the the shackles and shakle mounts that came with my front rugged ridge bumper and weld them to the the end of the frame on each side. i think it should be plenty of pertection, but i have been wrong before. lol
Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 PM
JK Freak

cool dude, well if evo can make u one, then go for it. i imagine they would custom fab u one
u obviously have thought this through and done some checking and not a person that had one those "bright ideas" that usually ends up in disaster.

good luck to ya man
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Heavier duty than the Or-Fab? I mean, the tubing is round, but it is stout. I don't think there's anything else that isn't attached to a bumper that is mass produced. I'm sure you could get one bare, and weld more stuff on it if you really felt a need.
Agreed!!! More heavy duty than an Or-Fab??? Yeah, something may exist but WHY?

Mine is a couple years old and still holding a very heavy 37 inch combo without so much as a squeak or rattle. Not to mention the hi-lift jack, 5 gal fuel can, and ammo can full of dog supplies.

Quick Reply: swing out tire carrier