Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synergy drag link flip kit install questions

Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synergy drag link flip kit install questions

So I bought a synergy drag link flip kit and was going to install it myself. How difficult is it to install? Are there any special tips or tricks that I need to know before installation? Also is an alignment needed after install? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not that hard assuming you purchased the corresponding correct drill bit and sleeve from Synergy as well. I did mine in about an hour with the hardest part being the actual drilling of the knuckle. You need to go real slow with plenty of cutting fluid. Too fast and the bit will catch and try and break your wrist. Keep the drill as straight as possible and avoid making the hole oval. Also, e sure to have a Dremel or air grinder with a metal rasp. You'll need to enlarge the hole slightly to the sleeve to insert easily. You shouldn't have to force the sleeve too much, just some slight hammering. I didn't enlarge mine enough the first time and damaged the sleeve hammering it in and had to get another. Just take you time and use the rasp a little, fit the sleeve, adjust, etc.. I installed this with their sector shaft brace and steering box support bracket as well. Those items, combined with new ball joints tightened my steering right up and al but eliminated bump steer.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An alignment is not needed, but im sure you will have to adjust the drag link to get your steering wheel centered.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Its not bad at all. Sean at Northridge 4x4 said they use the 7/8" drill bt and 13/16" sleeve adapter on their installs and sent me that. Worked great. No need for an alignment if you ate just doing the drag link flip. Just be sure and recenter your steering wheel
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Death
So I bought a synergy drag link flip kit and was going to install it myself. How difficult is it to install? Are there any special tips or tricks that I need to know before installation? Also is an alignment needed after install? Any advice would be appreciated.
Answered this for you over on LSJC. I'm doing the Synergy drag link myself, but w/o the flip.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the quick replys. I just wanted to make sure that it was as straight forward as I was hoping it would be. Also was a little nervous about drilling out the knuckle and messing that up.

sdr0303: I was looking at doing the sector shaft brace and support bracket but was worried about it working with my track bar since they say it might not work with all. Do you have an aftermarket track bar not from synergy?

Last edited by Black Death; 12-05-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you mess it up just do a rod end drag link...i wouldnt worry to much.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually I did have an RK track bar that was just too close to the sector shaft brace for my comfort. It didn't quite hit but it was real close with the suspension at rest. The Synergy isn't actually dramatically better, it just has a slightly better downward bend angle and it's a smaller diameter than the RK one.

Quick Reply: Synergy drag link flip kit install questions