Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synthetic Winchline

Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Winchline

So I am not new to winching, however I just bought my first synthetic line. I love how light it is and that it's so much easier to work with. I do have a couple questions though. First, the rock guard sleeve is about 8 feet from the front of the line and doesn't seem to move at all. Is this where it is supposed to stay? Is there a removable sleeve for say when I am in trees and brush? Also, I did not spool the line with any tension on it like a cable. Is it recommended to use tension? I noticed that the last few feet of line barely cleared on the bottom where the winch plate (may even be touching)is so im guessing i did not wind it tight enough. It's 3/8 by 100 feet if that matters. Thanks guys and gals.
-Dean-
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The abrasion sleeve should be free to move/slide where ever you need it. Like when the line is going to rub something. i:e reocks, trees, the ground and logs.
when spooling the line I leave the sleeve at the hook end of the rope as it acts as a U/V cover sort of.
Definetly spool it under tension. The rope will "flatten" out a little while being spooled under a load.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

the sleeve at the end of mine moves
Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
is that on your XRC 8 -COmp ?
thats right your comp 10 line doesnt?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

To be honest, I don't know, all the times I have used it were open winches.. no rocks,trees or obstacles.. I do have a Ballistic Nylon Chafe Guard which I haven't used.. which is for that reason.. You can even stake it if nessesary.. Next time I use my winch I will see if it moves.. if yours does.. no doubt mine will too..

SO.. my apologies for giving bum info.. I can say I learned something new today..
haha, i wish i could say i learned this chemestry im supposed to be studying, but sometimes this forum is so friggen addicting, should be called JK-Crack.com
Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, I am with you.. but; man I do learn allot from everyone.. Young/Old , Newbie/Moderators, great to hear everyones opinions on stuff..
ha x2, i swear i learn as much on here as i do in class. Bought the jeep last may and didnt know the last thing about a jeep, other than i wanted one since i was like 5, and after joining this forum, i know feel competent enough to do almost anything not to major to the jeep, i.e. no gears or welding or anything like that. but yeap, so much great info/knowledge on here
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

i have viking trail line and mine doesnt seem to move. although ill unspool it tomorrow and see if i can get it to. i would like to have the abrasion sleeve on the very end as it is ten feet long and would protect the line underneath from dirt and the sun. i guess all brands are different tho! thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Winchline