Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate doesnt lock with fob after Teraflex HD hinged carrier install

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate doesnt lock with fob after Teraflex HD hinged carrier install

I installed the TeraFlex HD hinged Carrier last weekend. Very nice item. However, this week I noticed the Tailgate doesn't lock with the remote anymore. I first noticed this when I opened the tailgate and set the alarm off. So I've been locking it with the key but now I noticed that the alarm doesn't go off when doors locked and gate is opened.

Could it be an unrelated issue? Or did I mess something up when I install the carrier. I did not remove the tailgate. As per instructions I put some space underneath it to keep it in place. My jeep only have 5000 miles. Doesn't seem to have any gunk or anything. Could it be an adjustment issue.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Might have knocked a wire loose somewhere. Check your connections.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

I think it is unrelated issue the Teraflex tire carrier does nothing to the Jeep electrically so your Jeep shouldn't even know it is there.

Here is how I would approach it:
  • Does your tailgate try to lock?
  • Can you hear it trying to lock but it isn't? If so it could be adjustment issue but you said you can lock it with the key so it must line up to be locked with the key
  • Do you have a dash light saying the gate is open? If so it might not try to lock it because the item that tells the gate is closed is not doing its job (broke or mis aligned)

That is what I would do.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your wiring, also check to see if your latch is closing 100%. Keep in touch with me on this.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the hinge is a static piece of your Jeep now I can't see how it would effect anything electrically?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

I don't even here the lock attempting to engage. It locks with no effort using the key. As I didn't remove the tailgate I can't imagine I unhooked any wires. Only wires u mess with during install are the brake light. Can that be in that same circuit?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

I had a weird electrical gremlin on my '07 JK that acted similarly to your problem. Tried everything including changing the battery in the key fob to no avail so after a few weeks I gave up on it.

A few months later I put a new battery in it and wouldn't you know, gremlin was gone. Maybe you should try disconnecting and then reconnecting your battery and/or have it tested for a bad cell.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Its a 2012 with only 5k miles. bought in April of this year. I don't think it would be the battery but weird things to happen. I plan to taking it to the dealer next week so they can trouble shoot. But wanted to post here first and make sure it wasn't something I did.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmike
Its a 2012 with only 5k miles. bought in April of this year. I don't think it would be the battery but weird things to happen. I plan to taking it to the dealer next week so they can trouble shoot. But wanted to post here first and make sure it wasn't something I did.
Can you lock it when you use the key and turn the lock? Will it only not lock if you use the fob?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Can you lock it when you use the key and turn the lock? Will it only not lock if you use the fob?
So, I can lock it with the key. It turns easy. It WILL NOT lock with the fob.

I did a few test right now.
#1 my tailgate brake light DOES work
#2 the EVIC shows the tail gate open when open and closed when closed.
#3 the alarm actually does go off when the door is opened and car is locked. However, it seems there is a delay on the alarm arming. If you open the tailgate immediately nothing happens. Wait a minute and open it and it WILL start honking.

Quick Reply: Tailgate doesnt lock with fob after Teraflex HD hinged carrier install