Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

teraflex 2.5 bb and stock tires

Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default teraflex 2.5 bb and stock tires

I know this has been discussed before, but I get conflicting answers. I heard that I can run the stock rims and tires on my 2008 unlimited with and without rubbing. i finally got the money together to buy the lift, but dont want to get it if it will rub, Is it true that I can run the lift without changing the rear sway bar links till I get new rims or not? I really just need a clear answer.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

Default lift questions

I just read a post by teraflex saying the rubbing issue can be corrected by spacers, new rims, or keeping my stock shocks. Is it safe to keep the stock shocks with the lift, or will the shocks be over extended at full flex and cause any problems?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default BB Question

Best I can tell, you should be alright with the TF 2.5" with factory shocks and no spacers as long as...

1) You order the kit with the shock adapters
2) You don't go up in size on your tires

If you are still concerned about rubbing (from a turning standpoint), you can do the adjustment with your steering that had been mentioned before (limited your turning radius a bit though). I'm doing spacers on 33's and it should clear pretty easy.

Hope this helps and if anyone else has something please chime in...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not trying to sway your decision, but that right there is why I'm holding off on a lift for now. No one seems to be able to answer definitively "YES" or "NO" as to whether it will rub. That's not good enough for my money. The aftermarket is gonna have to do better than that to get into my bank account. I spent a lot of money (for me, anyway) on my Jeep. I'm not gonna mess it up by installing some poor engineering.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2008 Unlimited X with the Teraflex 2.5 BB and it will rub the rear driver's tire; but only at full droop. This is something (full drrop) that you are not likely to see often even it you wheeled it mildly, much less on the highway.

I nstalled my sway bar links on the inside of the sway bar and it rubs. If I put them on the outside I could not even get the tire on.

Some say the models differ but I am only saying what I have seen on mine personally. The wheels put on the Jeeps (17") have very poor backspacing. I cannot see how any lift would be much different once you get to a certian amount of lift.

I would buy the kit again.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even Teraflex does not know if their lift will rub on your particular jeep. I guess they are not all mfgr the same. I can only share with you what learned from my research and you will def get conflicting opinions on this board which will allow you to hear both sides of the argument...

1) I called Teraflex and they said I would have no issues running their lift w/o the rear sway bar links. They recommend them but it is not a requirement.

2) The Rough Country, Skyjacker and other lower cost lifts do not even include a rear sway bar link and many people on this board run them w/o issue (and even swear by them).

My plan is to run w/o them for 3-6 mos while I save for new tires and rims. Once I get properly backspaced rims and tires I will add them.

Originally Posted by theosdad
I know this has been discussed before, but I get conflicting answers. I heard that I can run the stock rims and tires on my 2008 unlimited with and without rubbing. i finally got the money together to buy the lift, but dont want to get it if it will rub, Is it true that I can run the lift without changing the rear sway bar links till I get new rims or not? I really just need a clear answer.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I have heard people say that they are getting rub but I haven't seen it on my rig as of yet???? I’m running the Tera flex 2.5 bb with the stock 17 inch rims and 33 x 12.5 AT tires. I just ditched the extension as of late and put in a set of rancharos but the shock extensions worked fine. My sway bar extensions are on the inside as the manufacture recommended. I also noticed a shift of the axle to the passenger side but that can be corrected with a adjustable track bar....when I get around to it. I am very happy with my set up.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine on a overhead lift, therefore everything was suspened from the frame at eyelevel. This tends to make things more noticable.

And yes, they are all made slightly differently. If you keep the stock links, then that limits the droop; which limits the tire rub.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Default thanks to everyone

I appreciate all the help. I am also looking at the 2" full traction lift or the rough country 2.5" lift. I havn't heard anyone with rubbing issues with these.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

I had the stock 17" wheels on mine for a couple weeks while I waited on my tires. I had the tf 2.5" bb with an extra 3/4" up front. I had no rubbing. I did some minor wheeling, nothing to reach full droop with no problems at all. I did install the rear sway bar links to the inside.

Quick Reply: teraflex 2.5 bb and stock tires