Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats

Old 02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The world of patents are a funny business and one could go mad trying to understand and draw a dividing line. To me it's all grey area in a lot of instances. I see what seems like obvious copies of someone elses patents and never go anywhere, but then there are patents out there that seem so vague that have lawsuits in the courts, that no one could ever develop a similar product without violating the patent.

There are companies out there, who never design or manufacture a product, but file patents instead. Then what they do is wait for someone to actually develop and manufacture that product and then have a legal team file lawsuits on their behalf and that's how they make money. They also sell those patents and the new owner then files the same lawsuits where it just becomes absurd.

Here's an example that I'm familiar with where pretty much every automotive manufacturer and every company that ever designed a car radio had a lawsuit filed against them for patent infringement.

In the Lead Case, Plaintiff asserts two patents. The two patents appear to relate to “audio device integration system[s].” As one of the two patents states, “an audio device integration system for integrating after-market components such as satellite receivers, CD players, CD changers, MP3 players, Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB) receivers, auxiliary audio sources, and the like with factory-installed (OEM) or after-market car stereo systems.

So you know how you can plug an iPod, iPhone or other audio device into the USB port of a car radio and then you can control that device using your car stereo controls? You know how in the past you could purchase a "CD changer", mount it in your trunk and control it with your radio? That's what this patent covers, where pretty much every car manufacturer and radio developer that gave you the ability to plug your iPod into the radio and control that device with your radio got a lawsuit filed against them, where the company that filed that patent, never even designed or manufactured such a product.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I wasn't saying it was a copy, I meant you took an axle that existed and found a way to make it a lot better. It is still a Dana 44 that uses parts designed by Dana and others. Nothing wrong with that. Extending that logic, there shouldn't be an issue for someone taking an existing product and making it better or increasing the value.
Gotch ya.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its pretty comical myself. We drive jeeps. Everything on them gets replaced. Does everyone buy the same aftermarket bumpers, wheels, tires, winches, stereos, lift kits, shocks and I can go on and on. Just because one company made the first aftermarket wheel doesn't mean they have the right to tie up the market. Isnt just a slightly different looking wheel the same as a slightly different looking tire carrier? Is a slightly different looking tire the same as a slightly different looking tire carrier? Take two tires that are similar. A nitto ridge grappler and he hybrid toyo sells (I forget the model) very similar tread patterns. If the toyo was sold for 500 bucks a tire and nitto came along and sold theres for a 150 which would you buy? What about bumpers. theres MANY different manufactures that make after market bumpers. Only diffence is consmetics (there all steal bumpers that bolt to your jeep). Shouldn't the first designer of a jk bumper be the only one allowed to sell them? Don't you see how silly this is. It would be terrible for us consumers if ALL of these companys had a product locked up and nobody could compete with them. Make a good product and sell it competitively or get out of the way and let someone whos will to do it have the market.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:16 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Teraflex
Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Lmao. Picked up a TF recently and I'm happy with it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
...It would be terrible for us consumers if ALL of these companys had a product locked up and nobody could compete with them. Make a good product and sell it competitively or get out of the way and let someone whos will to do it have the market.
Have you ever thought, when looking to replace a broken part for the third (or more) time "Why hasn't someone come up with a better way?" The answer is generally "There's no money in it." I hate to be that guy, but patents are what allow sufficient chance to recoup money when someone or a company comes up with something sufficiently novel. Nobody is going to get a utility patent on a bumper, or tire as you suggested. But if they come up with a lighter, stronger, safer option that also, say, won't hurt someone if you hit them (it's basically magical) - that'd be a good bumper right? Should then every other company be able to sell it for $.50 over cost? No.

Patents, like'em or not, are part of why America is America. Do they occasionally make things (that we wouldn't otherwise have- like the device you're reading this on) cost more? Yes.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
with that mentality wed have only one brand of cars and trucks. One brand of guns. We still be using rolling block single shot rifles in the military. there would only be one airline and one brand of plane and you would be at there mercy for the cost of a flight. Free enterprise and competition is the rock this country was built on. Now if someone went so far as to pick a unit made in china because it was cheaper id be the first one to bitch. But as far as I know all of these units are made in America by americans. If one company can make them just as well built for less money that's the company that will be around for the long haul. Bottom line is you can about bet TF didn't invent these things. they too copied some home built unit or idea and improved on it. Most likely the man who deserves credit I some guy who had an idea in his garage and whipped out a prototype to try. I don't think anyone here is questioning TF quality or the fact they stand behind them. What is being questioned is having TF stamped on it is worth 1-200 bucks.
Did you quote the right post ?

I don't care what anybody buys, but your post has nothing to do with the five points I made.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

you stated that they were selling it fairly and not ripping people off. I was trying to show that for an extra 200 bucks you get nothing and that in my opinion is a rip off.
Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Did you quote the right post ?

I don't care what anybody buys, but your post has nothing to do with the five points I made.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no problem paying a bit extra for a part that does something the others don't or will last longer ect. Bottom line is I seriously doubt if the tf is made a big better then the others including the more I bought for 200 dollars less and they both do the same thing. No brainer which is the better deal in my mind. Must be nice to be able to afford 200 bucks just for brand loyalty. I try to spend my money where its smart. I cast a lot of bullets. If I told you mine were the best ever made would you give me 50 cents a piece for them when the others sell them for 30 cents a piece. Would you buy them only from me if I was the first one that ever sold cast bullets??? I seriously doubt it. Tell me why this is any different. Like was said in an earlier post if that was the American way wed all be driving black fords. TF surely has no lock on the production of tire carriers. Just like they don't have a lock on anything else they sell. I'm done with this argument. Well it really isn't even an argument in this case. Theres laws that covert these things and if you don't agree with those laws then your better off talking to your representatives to get those laws changed then wining here. Good luck trying to convince the rest of America that monopolys are a good thing. [QUOTE=erickeahey;4276227]Have you ever thought, when looking to replace a broken part for the third (or more) time "Why hasn't someone come up with a better way?" The answer is generally "There's no money in it." I hate to be that guy, but patents are what allow sufficient chance to recoup money when someone or a company comes up with something sufficiently novel. Nobody is going to get a utility patent on a bumper, or tire as you suggested. But if they come up with a lighter, stronger, safer option that also, say, won't hurt someone if you hit them (it's basically magical)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Another great Teraflex video

Quick Reply: Teraflex slams the Tire Carrier copycats