Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terra Grappler G2 or Ridge Grappler?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terra Grappler G2 or Ridge Grappler?

Alright, I'm getting close to getting wheels and tires for my 2015 Sahara JKU and I've decided on a 305/70R17 size. But I'm stuck between the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and the new Ridge Grappler. My work commute is 60 miles a day so I want to make the right choice. It's between these two because they'll both off the performance I need but it would be nice to have the extra that the Ridge Grappler offers. ANYWAYS!!! Anybody have any experience with these tires that can offer up advice? Great appreciated guys!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently running the Terra grapplers and I am very happy with them. They are quiet and offer me plenty of traction on the terrain near me. I am looking on getting the Ridge grapplers next spring to have a slightly more aggressive tread. For me giving up some of the smooth quiet ride of the Terra's is not a big deal as I only have 15 mile daily commute in total.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Terra Grappler's and they are awesome for everyday driving and most wheeling. They were horrible the only time I have been wheeling after a rain though. The ridge grappler is supposed to be similar to the G2 with better mud performance. I would definitely give those a try unless you do not see yourself getting into the mud.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the Terra Grapplers and have no complaints towards them. They look pretty aggressive for an AT and like stated above they are quiet and seem to be wearing pretty well. I got them towards the end of winter and they did pretty well in the snow (though I see you live in NM so that doesn't really apply to you). Been through a couple muddy fields and done some mild off-roading with somewhat steep climbs and they did everything i asked them to. The way they are wearing it might be a while before i start shopping again but i would definitely buy them again. I would maybe wait to hear more reviews from the Ridge Grapplers before i pulled the trigger on them but they are Nittos so they shouldn't have any issues. I will probably be making the same choice you are now when that time comes.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Have never had the Terra Grapplers on my Wrangler, but had them on my '14 Grandy and for on-road and ice, they performed really well. Handled daily driver duties without a hitch! Can't really speak to their off-road performance because I never intended to take the Grandy on anything other than maybe a fire road.

Ridge Grapplers are very new, having only been released a month or so ago. So I doubt there's too much buzz or feedback about them just yet. They seem to be pretty comparable, though, to the Toyo Open Country RT, which I had on my previous '14 Ram 1500. Handled daily driver duties as well as the Terra Grapplers, but offered up a tad more noise. Not unbarable and certainly not like a M/T, but not 100% quiet, either. THey're made to be sort of a hybrid between an A/T and M/T tire. Similar to the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs that I ran on two different Xterras (2008 & 2010). Those I tested in dry conditions and they performed quite well for that particular vehicle.

So speaking strictly from a daily driver point of view....I'd probably stick with the Terra Grapplers for the simple fact that they'll be a little bit quieter and ride just a little better. With 60 miles/day commute (I used to do that on 37" Trail Grapplers in my Wrangler), I'd think a true A/T tire would win out for on-road performance with some off-roading. Just my opinion, though.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MavisJk
I run the Terra Grapplers and have no complaints towards them. They look pretty aggressive for an AT and like stated above they are quiet and seem to be wearing pretty well. I got them towards the end of winter and they did pretty well in the snow (though I see you live in NM so that doesn't really apply to you). Been through a couple muddy fields and done some mild off-roading with somewhat steep climbs and they did everything i asked them to. The way they are wearing it might be a while before i start shopping again but i would definitely buy them again. I would maybe wait to hear more reviews from the Ridge Grapplers before i pulled the trigger on them but they are Nittos so they shouldn't have any issues. I will probably be making the same choice you are now when that time comes.

Snow actually does play a part in tires for me. I'm up north in Colorado and Nebraska for a few days during the winter and believe it or now, we got a foot of snow down here last Christmas. Haha. So good snow performance is a plus for me.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor

The Ridge Grappler is brand new. Nitto has enough track record to now it will be a quality product. This tire has a lot of demand, before all the sizes are even available. The trend is shifting toward this type of tire. Very aggressive without being an actual mud tire. We Jeepers are finally admitting most of the driving we do is not off-road (though we wish it were) I would probably agree with the statements above that it will probably be a tad louder once some miles are on the tire, mileage may be the same given all the rubber on the ground. According to Nitto, noise and ride are rated the same. I have heard they the new Ridge Grappler balances up really nice.
Personally I would give the new tire a try. Looks are awesome and I don't think there will be a big difference in overall drivability. The Ridge will provide better off road performance. Price difference is not much either. We could get you 4 of the Ridges for around $1100 delivered and the G2 for around $1000. Can get you 5 as well, but that is up to you.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have the g2s on mine and they are great all around. I'm in northern Wisconsin so we get plenty of snow and ice and they have been the best I've had on that front. I also had them on my Titan and got well over 50k on them and figured that was pretty damn good for a full size pickup to do it again on the Jeep.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jku_texan
Snow actually does play a part in tires for me. I'm up north in Colorado and Nebraska for a few days during the winter and believe it or now, we got a foot of snow down here last Christmas. Haha. So good snow performance is a plus for me.
I really don't think you will be disappointed with either choice.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi

Ridge Grapplers at the tire shop being mounted... I will post up a review. I will have a chance to run them on sand at the OBX next weekend at the Jeep Mutiny.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160819_080840.jpg
Views:	4836
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	656960

Quick Reply: Terra Grappler G2 or Ridge Grappler?