Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermometer reading low

Old 05-04-2016, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermometer reading low

A month or so ago my thermometer started reading pretty low (a little over 1/4) so I figured the thermostat must be stuck open. Finally got around to replacing it and it's not any better, might even be a little worse. What else could it be? Next thing i plan to try is replacing the sensor but anyone know anything else that could cause it to read low?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Not sure, but if you get an OBD wifi connector you can look at diagnostic stuff with your phone. This includes seeing the temperature as a digital number. The obd connector only costs around $20 (elm 327) and the app for phone is maybe $10. That would at least tell you the temperature the thermocouple thinks your coolant is. Perhaps the gage on your dash is wrong.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Not sure, but if you get an OBD wifi connector you can look at diagnostic stuff with your phone. This includes seeing the temperature as a digital number. The obd connector only costs around $20 (elm 327) and the app for phone is maybe $10. That would at least tell you the temperature the thermocouple thinks your coolant is. Perhaps the gage on your dash is wrong.
That is exactly what I'd do. Well, I keep Torque Pro running at all times on my Nexus 7. Everyone should, and most especially if you're troubleshooting these kinds of problems because it does let you look past the instrument gauge and directly at what the sensors are reporting. One-quarter on my Jeep would probably be about 100-125° coolant temp. No way your Jeep is running that low--which immediately suggests a sensor problem. But, Torque Pro can confirm that reading. And many, many other readings as well.

Quick Reply: Thermometer reading low