Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking about attempting gear swap.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
Will do. I'm sure A-dub will be trying to bribe me as well. I'm going to bring home a 10' piece of 1" galvanized pipe to make a 5-6' breaker extension and I'm going to make a more stout flange wrench for future drinking events
We have some time before I hit you up but as soon as I run through this set of mud grapplers I will be leaning towards 37's so we can talk then. In the meantime I can't wait to get that rig out so once you finish breaking all that in it looks like we will be taking a road trip to Hard Rock!

By the way my Smitty doors came in today so we can put those to some use as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zmotorsports
One more thing to remember, concentrate on the pinion depth measurement first (a good starting point is the original shim thickness), then get your backlash within specification. Run a gear wear pattern and look at the face to flank placement first. Don't focus on the toe to heel spacing.

If you focus on the face (top) to flank (valley) of the gear and get it set properly then move to the backlash you should be spot on. Once the face to flank is in the proper location and the backlash is within specification that is about as good as you will ever get. The toe to heel pretty much takes care of itself once the pinion depth and backlash are set.

Mike.
Mike and others, you guys giving me hope again !!! thank you for your thoughts, I will report back!

Very quick question, if I don't put her in 4 wheel drive can I have different diff gear ratios front and back? I am dreading todo my front.........

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
I did and I have to say that I hate crush sleeves. Holy crap it takes a lot to crush one. The only issue I had was pinion nut related. It's a bitch to take of and a son of a bitch to put back on :-) everything else was cake work...
Mine was done yesterday and as you stated crush sleeves are a pain in the A#$..... It took alot of force it seemed.....
Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markdsv
Mike and others, you guys giving me hope again !!! thank you for your thoughts, I will report back!

Very quick question, if I don't put her in 4 wheel drive can I have different diff gear ratios front and back? I am dreading todo my front.........

Cheers

Mark
You can just make sure you don't click it in.

Quick Reply: Thinking about attempting gear swap.