Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking about attempting gear swap.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about attempting gear swap.

I bought the carriers complete from another forum member and was going to pay someone else to install but that's just not my style I've been watching all kinds of videos and I watch extreme 4x4 every week so I know how it's done from scratch. My question is since these carriers and R&P have been installed before ( in another set of axles ) do I need to mess with shims or can I just install the new barrings and drop in the carriers?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needs to be setup to your housing. It will require shim work. Take your time and do it right.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

I figured it would. But had to ask. Any tricks on pulling or pressing the bearings? I don't have a press.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 AM
JK Junkie

So I'm way off schedule ( family first ) but the gears are going in this weekend. Any pointers or things you guys have run into that I should lookout for? I bought a bearing separator, 12 ton press, seal puller, dial indicator, and a beam torque wrench. Any other tools needed?
I plan on using the right and left box method so nothing gets mixed up.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

When are you doing them this weekend? I have no experience whatsoever with doing a gear swap, but I am just over in Mt. Dora and might be able to come give you a hand.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Can you handle a wrench and use four letter words at the same time? If so You are welcome to stop by :-) I'll start on Sat morning. I'll put a post on the hard rock thread and see if anyone else wants to stop by.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

haha, yeah I think I can manage that. Wife was talking about hittin up NSB that day if the weather holds out, so lemme check with her and I will let you know whats up.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
So I'm way off schedule ( family first ) but the gears are going in this weekend. Any pointers or things you guys have run into that I should lookout for? I bought a bearing separator, 12 ton press, seal puller, dial indicator, and a beam torque wrench. Any other tools needed?
I plan on using the right and left box method so nothing gets mixed up.
The only things I would recommend or make sure you have is a strong impact wrench or fab a bracket to hold the pinions while you torque them. My 1/2" impact wouldn't crush the sleeve on my D44 so I had to make a bracket with a hole in the center for the socket and (2) 5/16" holes to put through bolts to hold the pinion. I ended up having to stand on my breaker bar to crush the sleeve so probably close to 300 ft-lbs. Once I got the play out of the bearings it was a series of very small turns on the nut, remove the bracket and check the preload, install the bracket, small turn, etc... Until I got the 20 inch-pounds or whatever it ended up being. Building or buying a case separator would be nice too but I made do without. Good luck. When I was doing it I wished I had just paid someone to do it but after the fact I'm glad I did it and will do it again.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

Got the impact covered and if all else falls maybe a breaker bar and pipe
Nothing like saying you did it. Hopefully I will be able to say that sooner rather than later. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
Got the impact covered and if all else falls maybe a breaker bar and pipe
Nothing like saying you did it. Hopefully I will be able to say that sooner rather than later. Thanks for the input.
Even if you do have an impact bad enough to crush the sleeve, which I doubt.... dont use it!
Once the sleeve starts to crush that badass impact will most likely over crush it, pinion pre-load needs to be really close.
If you over crush it, the sleeve is garbage and you can expect to smoke a coupe of pinion bearings if you run it to tight, which will also fry your gear oil then the the gears...
Enjoy your day

Quick Reply: Thinking about attempting gear swap.