Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thinking of doing this...

Old 05-28-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of doing this...

Has anybody thought of taking the stock rails off the rubicon, blasting them and then welding tubing onto them? I don't see why this wouldn't work out, everything could then just bolt right back in place!

Thoughts?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do well as they are but dont appear to be strong enough to support the leverage that the tube would give it. You would have to beef them up in other ways too. Especially how they mount.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

X2 to what Rubimon mentioned. They will work fine for light use, but I do not think with the addition of the bar it will support the JK if needed. I was thinking about the same thing until I looked at how they mount to the body and saw issues with strength. That is why I am holding out for quality sliders that mount up the side of the rockers into the body along with under the body. I know this requires drilling, but I am willing to drill for the added protection. I am just not a fan of the frame mount sliders.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Ok about my idea, it was just a thought.
What are the dis/advantages of a body mount v. frame mount slider? I would assume that the frame would be stronger. True?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

I feel it all depends on the design. Most frame mounted sliders need room to flex, (at least the ones I have used in the past) which means they need to sit a little off from the body making them lower, reducing clearance in some cases. I personally like the look of the body mount style better, if it is an option. Either style would work for my wheeling though. Still, I could not say that one is better than the other. I think it is left up to what you want, and the wheeling you do. I am sure some of the Sponsors who make sliders could answer this better.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Former Member

Just another personal opinion here. I don't like to drill into body metal under any circumstances unless to replace something that's broken or on it's way. This is especially the case when fastening to the outside surfaces and if winter road salt or ocean water is ever going to see the Jeep.
A well designed frame mounted rail is already attached to a more secure member and if you look at your frame it's already drilled, studded, tapped,welded to.....
Hell everything else is stemming from it.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

If you seal up the edges of a rocker guard correctly, water shouldnt be able to get in there. I like body mounted rocker guards cause they offer more clearance which makes you get hung up less offroad. This is especially needed on the long WB Unlimited.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

It seems like the Shrockworks sliders mount to the frame and do not decrease your clearance as they jut out and up, not down. That's just what I've seen in pics. Maybe someone that's running them can chime in on any loss of clearance.

As for the topic of the thread, I think it's a good idea. The Rubi rails mount where my side steps mounted. The steps did not flex a bit when I stood on them. (I'm 6'2" 270) If you welded a bar similar to the Shrockworks design, I bet it would be plenty strudy.

Last edited by shredX; 05-29-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing this...