Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

For those who wheel with a budget boost

Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
A stock jeep is more vehicle than 90% of people with huge expensive lifts and what not ever needs.
Come again? Lol I can't make sense of what you're trying to say.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
Come again? Lol I can't make sense of what you're trying to say.
I said, 90% of the people with huge multi buck lifts can do what they do in a stock jeep...meaning the just build for looks! and "measuring" contests....not actual NEED. Did that explain it better?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08323.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	639130

I've been running a 2.5" RC BB for the last 6 months and have been able to hang with most out on the trails. The XRC Fenders made a big difference allowing me to flex more without running into the stock plastics. My 'Franken-lift' comprises of the BB Spacers and shock extensions, 2016 Rubicon Shocks, Synergy adjustable track bars, front/lower & rear/upper adjustable control arms, Rubicon Express Steering Stabilizer, quick disconnects and 35" tires. All of this can be purchased relatively inexpensively and has made for a comfortable on-road driver and very capable on the trails.
Having built the jeep up one modification at a time, I'd highly recommend the front track-bar and at least lower control arms to adjust for caster as soon as possible. This made the jeep drive much nicer on the street. I'd also do rear/upper arms after the fronts to adjust your pinion angle for durability.

FYI, in case anyone is considering Rubicon Springs in addition to a BB Lift, I installed them and quickly pulled them back out - Although the nearly 4" of lift was nice, It rode SO HARSH for daily driving. I have an Eibach Pro kit waiting in the garage that I'll install soon and will give a review of the Budget Boost compared to a 'real' kit. In the meantime, no reason not to wheel with spring spacers and shock extensions. Just understand the mechanical limits of the hardware and the Jeep will surprise you!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I said, 90% of the people with huge multi buck lifts can do what they do in a stock jeep...meaning the just build for looks! and "measuring" contests....not actual NEED. Did that explain it better?
That's what I thought you meant, I just wanted to make sure that's what you meant. I probably won't upgrade until I NEED to upgrade.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
That's what I thought you meant, I just wanted to make sure that's what you meant. I probably won't upgrade until I NEED to upgrade.
Yeah. I have been lured by the 3" S/T lift from Teraflex. but....then, I have my setup dialed in so good, that I am not messing with it. I go with the 3", then I am going to want 37" then gearing to match then, crap gas milage, then new front axle, then, then then. It Snowballs.

I wheel 3-4 times a week including multiday trips most weekends from may to October. Every chance we get, we hop in our Jeep and we are gone exploring trails and different places.

My wife and I get off work at 4:30, pick up our son from afterschool care, and we are gone until bed time. You will be surprised what 33"s on a 2" lift with some extra goodies can handle in the back country. We don't rock crawl. I find that boring. That's like walking on a treadmill outside, in the summer. you just see the same shit all day.

The few things that are left to put on my rig are true tracs, front and rear, roof rack, modding the front stock bumper to take a winch and still retain a light bar, and interior things....mechanically after those couple of things are done, We have the beast finished. I use the same philosophy building my other rigs too. 2003 F150, 2" rear lift, crank the torsions to match, Reflex shocks, 33s, HID hella 500s, true tracs for traction and then interior add ons. Our latest rig, 2015 patriot will be getting moog HD springs, 235s on the stock wheels with 1.25" spacers, RRO front grille guard and HID hellas mounted on that, RRO roof rack, and interior stuff.

there is a lot to be said for K.I.S.S. in back country travel.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention, i am sure the stock suspension functions better on AND off road better then a lot of aftermarket kits too.

Nothing wrong with a budget boost to gain a little more clearance. It will function just fine for most of us. Just do some homework on the shock length and proper bumpstop size for your particular wheel/tire combo and bam you will have a very functional and capable rig.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by olyelr
Not to mention, i am sure the stock suspension functions better on AND off road better then a lot of aftermarket kits too.

Nothing wrong with a budget boost to gain a little more clearance. It will function just fine for most of us. Just do some homework on the shock length and proper bumpstop size for your particular wheel/tire combo and bam you will have a very functional and capable rig.
Exactly. My rig excels in every type of dirving I do. Longer control arms work great
Old 03-01-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Just add longer shocks, longer brake lines, longer abs lines (11+), bumpstops, and some sway bar disconnects. This is stock coils with a longer shock and stock height tires....mounting a 35" tire.

Would you say that's "decent"? It would run circles around the guys who bought the "kits" years ago with short shocks. The kits have gotten better but it still did well for being very budget friendly.

I was wondering what size spacers and what stock springs you had.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Those were standard 4dr coils.....17's at that time, I believe. What makes the difference is the longer shock length that allows the coil to exert its force and push the tire to find traction.

No spacers at all....a bit shocking to some folks.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Those were standard 4dr coils.....17's at that time, I believe. What makes the difference is the longer shock length that allows the coil to exert its force and push the tire to find traction.

No spacers at all....a bit shocking to some folks.
Not to me. ALOT of the lifts out there, perform worse than the stock suspension even though they are higher! I know how capable the stock JK platform is.

Quick Reply: For those who wheel with a budget boost