Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who wheel with a budget boost

Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who wheel with a budget boost

I've recently decided to delay replacing my budget boost but will spend the money elsewhere. Probably regearing, 35s, and possibly trutracs. But to my question, how capable is a budget boost offroad? I know you won't get anymore than stock flex but stock flex can be pretty impressive if done correctly.

Do I have to worry about my coils falling out every time I disconnect?

What can be added to increase flex and offroad handling?

I would like to see some pics of budget boost wheeling to make me feel good about my decision. Thanks guys
Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Just add longer shocks, longer brake lines, longer abs lines (11+), bumpstops, and some sway bar disconnects. This is stock coils with a longer shock and stock height tires....mounting a 35" tire.

Would you say that's "decent"? It would run circles around the guys who bought the "kits" years ago with short shocks. The kits have gotten better but it still did well for being very budget friendly.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It sounds like you are mostly just talking about shock length. Longer shocks let the axles/tires droop down further. If the shock is too long, the coils can fall out. On the other side of that, you need to have enough bumpstop to keep the longer shock from over-compressing and destroying itself. You might also want to consider brakelines and limit straps as well.

But if you think about it: take a shock with 10" of travel (fully compressed to fully extended = 10" difference), and put it on a rig with 2.5" spacers. For the example, say you have 5" uptravel and 5" downtravel. Take the same shock and put it on another rig with 2.5" coils. What do you get? 10" of travel. The difference might be that the coils sit a little taller, so you end up with 6" uptravel and 4" downtravel, but it is still the same shock with the same travel.

So ... does swapping to a coil lift automatically mean that you will end up with more flex than you have right now?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I have a budget boost with shock extensions, rear track bar relocation bracket, longer brake lines, longer sway bar link & bump stops. Able to run 35's with flat fenders & it does extremely well.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

07 with 150k miles on budget boost and no issues Just put a RC budget boost on the 16 Hard Rock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-980991958.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	638818   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2895967833.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	550.7 KB
ID:	638820   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3810588359.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	638821  
Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by catang5oh
07 with 150k miles on budget boost and no issues Just put a RC budget boost on the 16 Hard Rock.
I ran an RC BB on my 07 for several years before I sold it. It was fine. OP, if you're good with the ride and are not having any issues, I wouldn't worry about it. You won't have the same ride as the more complete kits or the flex they have... but a BB is still a very functional and cheap method to get that clearance.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I am running the teraflex leveling kit with Monroe reflex shocks....I wheel mine regularly, have a boat load of miles on my rig and never had an issue. It is an awesome rig and I use it daily driving, off roading, exploring etc.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure for the right shocks and you wont have any issues.

Pull a shock and droop just before the coil starts to loosen up, take a measurement from upper to lower shock mount. Then, stuff the tire as high as you can before contacting the body, and take your measurement. Now, do a little research and find some shocks that match your collapsed and extended criteria.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran with a 2" BB for 3 years with 33s, then trimmed my fenders and went with 35s. All I had was pucks and bump stop extensions. I disconnected the brake line bracket in the front. I later got shock extensions. I never had any problems rock crawling trails up to 3 / 5. A stock JK is with a little extra clearance is pretty damn impressive.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A stock jeep is more vehicle than 90% of people with huge expensive lifts and what not ever needs.

Quick Reply: For those who wheel with a budget boost