Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on my build going forward

Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Unless you have the extra money laying around and all your bills are paid I would throw out option 1. Option 2 will lead to a more unstable ride. coil overs are nice but a waste of money on a daily driver unless you meet the recommendations for option 1 ( money to throw away) Options #3 looks again like you are just throwing away money. Why change out a good working winch? Why does a daily driver need a cage? Sounds like you are more bored then anything. Maybe take that money you are going to waste and plan a trip to Moab or the Rubicon and drive the jeep. Take a trip thru Colorado passes or make a trip to some of the off road parks on the East coast.
X100. my buddy just installed King coil overs and is hugely disappointed. He knows his stuff and used to write for all the offroad mags and I am sure Dirtman knows him (initials are WW first name willie) any way he says he regrets it and big waste of money. 2.5" lift and 35's can handle about anything in moab, the rubicon, dusy ershim etc. me personally I have actually started going down in tire size and right now prefer 285/75-17 over 35's. I am getting ready to install a set of mild street tires in that size on stock rims just for running around.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadmt
X100. my buddy just installed King coil overs and is hugely disappointed. He knows his stuff and used to write for all the offroad mags and I am sure Dirtman knows him (initials are WW first name willie) any way he says he regrets it and big waste of money. 2.5" lift and 35's can handle about anything in moab, the rubicon, dusy ershim etc. me personally I have actually started going down in tire size and right now prefer 285/75-17 over 35's. I am getting ready to install a set of mild street tires in that size on stock rims just for running around.
Really, hmm...food for thought then. I don't see me going down in lift size or tire especially since getting the Currie 60s and hydro assist. Looks like if I am going to spend a chunk of money, I may be better off trying to go with the LS swap to have some power to go along with the 37s and heavier axles. Other wise, I might look at getting flat fenders, changing sliders, or maybe even something on the interior like upgrading radio or something.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Are you certain you're getting the height out of your RK coils? Maybe just switch coils if you feel you need a little more height. I feel your pain though, a few of my friends bought when I did in 2010. They have less than 50k miles but they've got 37's and all that fun stuff. I have almost 200k miles and I'm on 35's. The slightly smaller tires have afforded me more free capital to get out and play instead of sitting at home looking at it. I'm getting bored with mine but that's when you swap tires (as mentioned earlier) to better conquer the terrain where you wheel.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jadmt
That's my kind of thinking... Especially on a 2-door, 285's seem to do pretty well. When I'm considering a mod it's nice to go out on a trail and think through the good side, the bad side effects, and the costs. Even better is to go with Jeeps that have the mods under consideration (bigger lift/tires etc.). Another thought experiment is watch some youtube videos, especially the extreme stuff.

It's different for everyone, but for me it usually comes down to it not being realistic to take on the risk of the more extreme trails, so I'll take a short bypass that's easier and/or add some paint to the skid plates. Talked myself out of a lot of stuff this way.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my build going forward