Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Rough Country lifts.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Rough Country lifts.

Has anybody installed a rough country 3.25 suspension lift? If so what do you think. Right now it's going for 379.00 so I'm trying to find out if it's one of those deals that just needs to be passed up. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi

I personaly can not give you first hand info on this lift. Use the search feature. there ahs been alot of poats about these lifts.

My opinion.... save for a quality lift. You will be much happier. If you just want to lift it do a BB. You will need arms and everything else sooner or later.

Best of luck
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I personaly can not give you first hand info on this lift. Use the search feature. there ahs been alot of poats about these lifts.

My opinion.... save for a quality lift. You will be much happier. If you just want to lift it do a BB. You will need arms and everything else sooner or later.

Best of luck
There is nothing wrong with the quality of Rough Country. I would put them up against any other lift on the market. Now if you want to talk about saving up for a COMPLETE lift then that is different. There things that you will find in other lifts that are not included in the RC ones. Perfect examples are adj track bars and LCAs. Other than that, the quality of what comes in the box is top notch.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

I completely agree with SaleenPowr, I did blow a shock the first time I took it out but RC replaced it no questions asked. I have beat the crap out it ever since then and it has never let me down.

They have a lot of the other parts availiable if you want to upgrade your lift to be more complete.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi

I never said that RC was not a quality lift. I never spoke of any manufacture. I said just save your money for a quality lift. So many guys are in a hurry and buy kits that need 1200 bucks in arms later. Wait and buy a complete quality kit. I never said jack shit about anyones jeep or lift.

I never said RC was bad. Just not MY standard.

And he is looking at a $379. kit that WILL need more money later
Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SaleenPowr
I would put them up against any other lift on the market.

You may want to rethink that statement. they are ok lifts for what they are. BUT there are many more lifts that are much better. I mean stay in the apples to apples.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If all you want is lift height, this isn't a bad deal.

But as was mentioned above, if you want your JK to drive like it does now (stock), you'll probably want to add some more components. When you go over 3", your caster is way off, and your axles will be noticeably off-center. This kit comes with a rear trackbar bracket, but no way to recenter the front. And it has no way to adjust your caster to correct the flightyness/bumpsteer/etc associated with lifting.

Install and see how you like the drive, but budget some extra money just in case.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Their BB was the first thing I put on my Jeep. I upgraded with in three month but it worked fine and the fit was ok.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaleenPowr
There is nothing wrong with the quality of Rough Country. I would put them up against any other lift on the market. Now if you want to talk about saving up for a COMPLETE lift then that is different. There things that you will find in other lifts that are not included in the RC ones. Perfect examples are adj track bars and LCAs. Other than that, the quality of what comes in the box is top notch.
Originally Posted by nthinuf
If all you want is lift height, this isn't a bad deal.

But as was mentioned above, if you want your JK to drive like it does now (stock), you'll probably want to add some more components. When you go over 3", your caster is way off, and your axles will be noticeably off-center. This kit comes with a rear trackbar bracket, but no way to recenter the front. And it has no way to adjust your caster to correct the flightyness/bumpsteer/etc associated with lifting.

Install and see how you like the drive, but budget some extra money just in case.

This is the problem with RC....some have had no problems at all and would recommend them till they're blue in the face, while others (like myself) have had problems with the quality and would not recommend them at all. I HAD the 3.25" installed on mine and had TWO sets of coils start sagging to the point that the top few coils were touching each other....the first time, RC replaced them without question...second time, they told me this was "normal"..(well, just look at this thead---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+wrong+picture )....not trying to bash RC, but my advice would be to save your money and get something else...

rear coil, coils touching, jeep sitting in my driveway...
Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coils at rest shouldn't do that, unless you have several fat ladies and a few hundred pounds of crawfish sitting in the back.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Rough Country lifts.