Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of the stock seats

Old 06-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Tired of the stock seats

My stock seats are beat up and foam is bleeding out. I'd like to either have a shop repair them or get a set of aftermarket. My requirements are that they recline, black or grey in color and fit my tuffy conceal and carry drivers side lock box. Will the lock box prevent me from getting anything aftermarket and I would be better off getting the current seats repaired? I was really looking to improve the comfort of the seats especially on long rides.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Don't go with full racing seats, they're horrible for the DD. I'd go with newer seats or just yours fixed. My brother went with Corbeau seats because they were comfortable but it's a hassle to get in and out of them daily.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

The 1st mod I did in my JK was in getting rid of the fabric seats and installing a set of Katzkin leather skins. The factory fabric was looking kind of knurly even after only 2 months of use. No regrets going with the Katzkin. They're not that difficult to install yourself.

Katzkin's can be expensive but they can often be found listed on Ebay for a good price, where they are typically the most common colors, such as black and greys. I paid $225 for the set I got back in 2009. They were often listed for a complete set in the $200-$400 price ranges. You have a 2008, where they're now a little more difficult to find for that year and those prices. I've looked recently for my 2009, since I was considering replacing mine since the lower part of the driver's seat has seen better days. The newer 2012+ JKs are pretty easy to find for a good price on Ebay. I can't complain since they've been on close to 9 years now and other than that driver's seat which obviously has seen the most use, they still look great and no one can tell that they aren't factory leather seats which weren't even an available option in 2008-2009.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-11-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I've got a friend who has PRP seats... The Enduro Elite Recliners (https://www.prpseats.com/product/end...ite-recliner/) with heat and such. He runs them in the front and back. I've rode in them for a few house on the highway and then rock crawling all day then a few hours back. They were very comfortable. He uses the factory seatbelts for the fronts but a different seatbelt system for the back because the bench had the female end of the seatbelts. I found them to be very comfortable. He got his in a combination of cloth and vinyl... the outer portions were vinyl and the center portion (where you sit) was cloth, I didn't think I would like that, but turned out to be nice since the cloth portion didn't burn you getting in. They are pricey though.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Don't go with full racing seats, they're horrible for the DD. I'd go with newer seats or just yours fixed. My brother went with Corbeau seats because they were comfortable but it's a hassle to get in and out of them daily.
I was looking at the corbeau since they are the cheapest option. I guess I might want to take a look into repairing the foam and maybe seat covers?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jedg
I've got a friend who has PRP seats... The Enduro Elite Recliners (https://www.prpseats.com/product/end...ite-recliner/) with heat and such. He runs them in the front and back. I've rode in them for a few house on the highway and then rock crawling all day then a few hours back. They were very comfortable. He uses the factory seatbelts for the fronts but a different seatbelt system for the back because the bench had the female end of the seatbelts. I found them to be very comfortable. He got his in a combination of cloth and vinyl... the outer portions were vinyl and the center portion (where you sit) was cloth, I didn't think I would like that, but turned out to be nice since the cloth portion didn't burn you getting in. They are pricey though.
Would like something like this for sure but that's a little too pricey. Wish I did it from day 1 and now at 140k those $1200 seats would have paid for themselves.

I find nothing used out here on Craig's List and So Cal is usually a hot spot for Jeep parts.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The 1st mod I did in my JK was in getting rid of the fabric seats and installing a set of Katzkin leather skins. The factory fabric was looking kind of knurly even after only 2 months of use. No regrets going with the Katzkin. They're not that difficult to install yourself.

Katzkin's can be expensive but they can often be found listed on Ebay for a good price, where they are typically the most common colors, such as black and greys. I paid $225 for the set I got back in 2009. They were often listed for a complete set in the $200-$400 price ranges. You have a 2008, where they're now a little more difficult to find for that year and those prices. I've looked recently for my 2009, since I was considering replacing mine since the lower part of the driver's seat has seen better days. The newer 2012+ JKs are pretty easy to find for a good price on Ebay. I can't complain since they've been on close to 9 years now and other than that driver's seat which obviously has seen the most use, they still look great and no one can tell that they aren't factory leather seats which weren't even an available option in 2008-2009.
As a surfer and someone who gets the vehicle wet often I'm not sure the leather would be the best option?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
As a surfer and someone who gets the vehicle wet often I'm not sure the leather would be the best option?
I'm unsure. I do nothing special for taking care of them aside for if they're dirty, I take a sponge with some soap and water and scrub them down. I have gotten them wet quite a few times as well riding with the top off, where I just wipe them off with a towel. They've definitely lived through the use and abuse of my son who has rode in them since he was born to now where he's 6 1/2 where I know milk and juice have been spilled. They're pretty durable, where getting water on them has not been a concern for me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-12-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm with RednRoll on this one. I've got leather seats and they're exposed to rain on a regular basis as well as the beach (I'm a 1.5 hours away) and I find that the leather is less trouble than cloth and such.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I'd think the issue here would be the salt water, moreso than just water. I'd think the salt would take its toll on both cloth or leather over time. My Katzkins have seen a handful of downpours over the 4 years I've had them. If anything, they are actually protecting the seat foam better than a cloth would.

That said, I tend to think that for where you live, and for what your general use might need to accommodate (surfing and beach stuff), your best option is to have a shop rebuild your seat foam structure, just keep the factory covers, and add a high quality durable seat cover over them. Something that will stand up to your use, and that if needs replacing several years down the road, nbd, throw new ones on.

Either way, the foam support structure is the real issue, and I STILL think (from previous posts) rebuilding that is going to be much cheaper than brand new seats. I don't know this for certain as I've never gotten a quote for anything like that, but I know it can be done, and some foam mold has to be cheaper than entire seat with framing and such. If you do get a quote, I'd be curious to hear. Surely cheaper to have an upholstery shop do it than buying factory Mopar foam. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Tired of the stock seats