Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of the stock seats

Old 06-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Very interesting about the leather. I wonder if the difference would be salt water over regular water. I've never really had the cash to buy leather anything really and I usually spill coffee all over h JK too so there is that issue. Lol

I think step one is to get a quote on fixing the foam. Then step 2 would be the seat covers. If we are talking just the fronts I would call it $200 for the covers and maybe $3-400 for the seat repairs. Maybe over shooting it but by the time it's all said and done I'm thinking new seats would be around $1000-$1300 depending on brackets and a fix should be half that price.

I'll will update this post with the quote so you all know what to expect.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Keep an eye on Craigslist as well in your area. I know I've seen JK seats up for sale in my area from others that did the seat replacements like Karl suggested. Junk yards may be a good option as well. Just get whatever used you can find and then re-skin.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I've had my eye on craigs list since last summer. The seats that come up always need something done in order to make them fit or return them to new and it ends up being like $200 less than just ordering new ones. It's weird but they never come up out here. I guess I can try a junk yard.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Looks like gently used covers and then you can have a local shop replicate the factory foam to your liking.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232806546357
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

so Im bumping this thread to the top with a new question. I have an appointment next week with a shop for a quote on getting my seats back to almost new condition. I've also decided after doing a bunch of reading that the MasterCraft Baja RS is really the seat that I want.

So asking anyone out there that has the MasterCraft Baja RS front reclining seats how the install and fitment was on these? I know this is a long shot but is anyone also running the Tuffy conceal and carry lock box under the drivers seat? As stated in the post above I need to have my lock box. So if I can't run an aftermarket seat because the lock box won't fit anymore it makes my decision of fixing the current seats the winner by default.

Anyone know if running the mastercraft seats leaves the same amount of space underneath? I have a 4 door auto.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
so Im bumping this thread to the top with a new question. I have an appointment next week with a shop for a quote on getting my seats back to almost new condition.
I'm sure curious to see what this quote will be. If they try to just give you one figure, try to figure out what the cost of the foam support is separate from whatever covering their quoting.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Went to two different auto fabrication places today. Here is what I learned.

To re-do the seats with foam is about $400 per seat depending on the material. The guys at these places deal with rich Orange County people so they wanted to do an all leather katzkin at first until I told them it was a beach vehicle. So then they told me I can pick any material and they would use a memory foam type of material to make the seat more comfortable.

At $600-$800 total, I could just buy new corbeau moab seats but I have heard great things about the comfort and materials of the mastercraft. I know Im most likely an idiot for spending that amount of money on 2 seats but I really do think the lady and also my back might appreciate it since we have a 22 hour drive to Cabo San Lucas coming up. The difference between the Moab and the Mastercraft is about $400 so i figured if I am going that far I might as well just go all the way.

Im kinda one of those guys who is seeing how many miles (lifetime powertrain) I can keep this vehicle going for at the cheapest cost. So far so good. I will report back once I get them installed this weekend and let you know if I have any remorse.

The final thought I've had is that every single person that has ever been in my JK has commented on how uncomfortable the seats are. I am hoping this will fix it. It doesn't help the complaining from the back seat since I only got fronts but that is what the volume knob is for. Fixes everything.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

That is crazy! You can buy brand new factory foam for $400. I also wouldn't think that you'd want memory foam in that application....it's not like a bed you want to sink in to IMO. Dumb. Sorry I suggested looking in to that.

Couple things to consider here......1) you plan on keeping that jeep for a long time, so you'll appreciate the new seat every time you're in it, and 2) it's not money thrown away.....if you ever get rid of the jeep, remove those seat and sell em, or pop them in another JK. Just save those factory seats if you have the space. They are indeed a lot of money.....but something that you use every single time you're driving the jeep.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I guess the guy locally asking $400 for both front seats from a low mile 2015 doesn't seem so crazy.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I can't believe what seats sell for and from what I've read junk yards are not much better.

I figured since I will use them and keep the vehicle hopefully for a long time that they will definitely see their fair share of use. Would have really liked to not drop that coin but I thought about how many long surf trips I took in that thing and my lower back was fried getting out of the vehicle.

My mom drove in it once in the back seat and still claims to have never recovered from it. Lol

Quick Reply: Tired of the stock seats