Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires again....

Old 12-05-2006, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires again....

well its time to think of tires now that i have ordered the lift...

want to run the stock rubi rims... and i have not seen to many 35" for a 17" rim... i love the look of the stock rim and really do want to keep it.

are more companies going to start to produce large tires for 17" rims.

and i hope with more companies producing them the prices might come down a little more ... with gaining popularity.. and less of a speciality

also is there any recomadations that i could look into.. always could use the advise. a good product at a good price is the key ....don't feel like paying for a NAME!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

i think the largest size you are going to find are 33's with the stock rims because they have a 7.5" width. for 35's the smallest im seeing are at least 8" width on the rims.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
Height has no bearing on rim width. it's tire width you have to worry about.

any tire measuring a 12.50 is going to be absolutely fine with a 7.5" wide rim. I've run 12.50's on 7" rims. You'll be fine.

It's backspacing i would be concerned about.
thank you for the heads up.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jpj2176
well its time to think of tires now that i have ordered the lift...

want to run the stock rubi rims... and i have not seen to many 35" for a 17" rim... i love the look of the stock rim and really do want to keep it.
This is the same boat I'm in also... I just bought the lift and I really don't like any of the wheels out there, so it looks like I'm going with 35 x 12.5 x 17's on stock rubi's also...

Anyway I bought the Spider Trax 1.25" spacers and I need to order the tires which I am down to Baja Claw Radials, ProComp Mud Xtreme (out in Jan '07) and BfG Mud Terrain KA.

Good luck with your choice. First one to post pics wins.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Here are some tires you may want to look at (listed from least agressive to most):

BFG A/T this comes in a 315/70R17...great on road manners and long lasting.

TrXus MT this is a 35x12.5...better off road than the BFG, but won't last as long.

Toyo MT (35x12.5)...great all around tire (very similar tread to Goodyear MTR), might be tough to find a set though.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, cuz i'm new and have little tech know-how, but would your problem be solved by using the TJ Rubi rims, A.K.A Moab rims?:confused:

They don't look exactly the same as the redesigned JK wheels, but they look very similar.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's what I go by when looking at tires & wheels: The width of the tire should be at most 4" wider than the rim. That way you won't blow a bead in extreme cases. It may be different for others.

Quick Reply: Tires again....