Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Gauntlet

Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Gauntlet

Hello everyone,

Need your experience on a final decision about which tire to pick.

My 35in are getting to the end of life so it's time to replace them.

I have two sets, since my Jeep is also my DD. For the daily stuff I use 32in for street amd highways.

The 35in set is for the offroad weekends. I do trails and overlanding. No crawling. The trails can get rough sometimes but I do not take any radical paths.

I trimmed down the list to two tires.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT 315/70R17D2

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac LT 315/70R17D2

Here in WA the Winters are not bad but we can get some heavy snow and ice over the mountain passes. The trails can get muddy but not as bad as we having to "swim" on mud pits. There are plenty rocks, tree branches, etc. and I usually air my tires down.

I'm not a Goodyear fan and am just considering it because of the high accolades to that tire. However, it seems it lasts a lot less than the BFGoodrich, which ends making it more expensive.

The DuraTracs have a thinner wall, which makes it more prone to damage. How does it handle airing down?

Both tire types cost the same at Discount Tires.

Thoughts, experience and advice welcome.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

I would run a bfg mud terrain personally but if I had to choose between the two of those tires I would get the bfg a/t in the R compound, the S compound is the factory Ford Raptor tire and is known for chunking and very short life. The R is a much better tire
Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
I would run a bfg mud terrain personally but if I had to choose between the two of those tires I would get the bfg a/t in the R compound, the S compound is the factory Ford Raptor tire and is known for chunking and very short life. The R is a much better tire

Thanks! Ended-up going with the BFGs and picked the R. Had some bad experiences with Goodyear so wasn't much inclined to that brand anyways.

Quick Reply: Tires Gauntlet