Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing capacity increases with Hemi swap?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Anyone know how much more weight one can tow behind a JK with a Hemi swap? I know the JK can currently tow 3500 lbs with the 3.8. I'd like to upgrade to a bigger camper that would be twice that weight.

My impression is that you have more dollars than sense.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elickzer
Axles, suspension, braking system, steering capabilities and other internal controls are constructed in accordance with that GVWR. Because cars, trucks, and jeeps are specially made with set towing capacities, you can't alter the rating without re-engineering the vehicle. Exceeding your towing capacity is a dangerous because it reduces your braking and steering control.

In all actuality adding a Hemi, adjusting your suspension, and larger tires will lower your towing capacity since it adds weight to your jeep. Though it may make climbing those mountain passages a lot easier.
I should also mention that the overall footprint comes into play as well. Since the leverage on an unlimited when force applies to the hitch is different than a 2-Door. Hence why the unlimited can tow more.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

this discussion really shouldnt be going any further

unless there is a way to legally get the towing capacity changed in writing after inspection, (which i dont think there is)

than there is nothing you can really do
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Except that lots of people on this board do hemi swaps.. Are you saying it's all a waste of money?

for the reasons you listed... YES

for other purposes including highway power, ability to use nil throttle while rock crawling, acceleration, racing, etc. a hemi is a wonderful option to those who can afford one.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aggie sig
for the reasons you listed... YES

for other purposes including highway power, ability to use nil throttle while rock crawling, acceleration, racing, etc. a hemi is a wonderful option to those who can afford one.
But it is not originally build and designed for racing and acceleration and highway power.....

Again more devils advocate toward the hole modification thing.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by db99wj
But it is not originally build and designed for racing and acceleration and highway power.....

Again more devils advocate toward the hole modification thing.
You devil! What does design and practicality have to do with FUN?

Although, I would be afraid to tow more than rated towing especially with a two door, hemi or not. The hemi for sure has the power to pull but I do not see how it would be stable in any kind of emergency with 7k behind you. Even in a 4 door. That would be.....unFUN.

Best bet is a 5th wheel truck and trailer for that kind of weight IMO. Hauling big or heavy stuff once a while is the only reason my Silverado is still in the barn.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
See this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p-to-7-716-lbs!

Clearly it CAN tow more, but I can't speak for the legal issues. It's rated for 3500 lbs in the US. Any more - surf this site or elsewhere on the web and get a variety of opinions.

Originally Posted by mjolnir
Then you'd have no problem pulling a 7000 lbs trailer from your place in Arizona to say Los Angeles? Would you do it with 3 kids in the back? The vehicle has a tow limit, I can't understand why this is always a topic. If you want to tow heavy trailers buy a truck!!!
So what exactly in my post indicated I would do such a thing? I'm simply pointing out 1) facts - the same JK is in fact rated to tow 3500 kg (that's 7,716 lbs) in some European countries, and 2) there's a lot of opinions on the topic.

The tow limit is arbitrary. Take the Dodge RAM for example. My 2009 is rated almost 1500 lbs less than the 2010 version. By Chrysler's own admission, they made zero changes to structure or programming - it was simply "re-evaluated".

As I stated, I can't speak for the legal issues. Hell, I don't know if there ARE any legal issues. Of all the times this topic has been debated and researched, I have yet to see one shred of evidence other than "my uncle's cousin's roommate was sued" for towing more than the vehicle was rated for. Maybe some WILL end this once and for all and post a site that has clear evidence that it is, if fact, illegal to tow more than the manufacture's suggested tow limit. Other than hard proof, I agree it's a good idea not to exceed the manufacturer's suggested limits.

BTW - What did you mean by stating "If you want to tow heavy trailers buy a truck!!!"? The Jeep Wrangler is considered a "light truck". Did you mean "heavy duty truck" or simply "a truck rated at the capacity you wish to tow"? My Dodge RAM is also a "light truck" and is rated to tow well over 7,000 lbs. Some pickups, like some versions of the Chevy S-10, are only rated at 3,000 lbs towing. Is an S-10 not a truck but my RAM is?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToTheWall
My impression is that you have more dollars than sense.
Typical Liberal Canadian Response I guess. Criticize instead of joining a constructive dialogue or read the full thread. It's getting old my northern friend..

Last edited by 08JKWrangler; 07-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
So what exactly in my post indicated I would do such a thing? I'm simply pointing out 1) facts - the same JK is in fact rated to tow 3500 kg (that's 7,716 lbs) in some European countries, and 2) there's a lot of opinions on the topic.

The tow limit is arbitrary. Take the Dodge RAM for example. My 2009 is rated almost 1500 lbs less than the 2010 version. By Chrysler's own admission, they made zero changes to structure or programming - it was simply "re-evaluated".

As I stated, I can't speak for the legal issues. Hell, I don't know if there ARE any legal issues. Of all the times this topic has been debated and researched, I have yet to see one shred of evidence other than "my uncle's cousin's roommate was sued" for towing more than the vehicle was rated for. Maybe some WILL end this once and for all and post a site that has clear evidence that it is, if fact, illegal to tow more than the manufacture's suggested tow limit. Other than hard proof, I agree it's a good idea not to exceed the manufacturer's suggested limits.

BTW - What did you mean by stating "If you want to tow heavy trailers buy a truck!!!"? The Jeep Wrangler is considered a "light truck". Did you mean "heavy duty truck" or simply "a truck rated at the capacity you wish to tow"? My Dodge RAM is also a "light truck" and is rated to tow well over 7,000 lbs. Some pickups, like some versions of the Chevy S-10, are only rated at 3,000 lbs towing. Is an S-10 not a truck but my RAM is?
My understanding is that the main limiting factor for towing using a 4-door unlimited is cooling of the weak 3.8. ( engineer from Chrysler indicated this issue on a post somewhere, can't remember where) I can personally verify this as I tow a 3000 lb (loaded) pop-up trailer. When coming back from Utah last summer and heading back into California across highway 15 there are some exceptionally long and steep grades. The temp in the afternoon was in the low 100s. As I climbed some of the grades the inadequate cooling definitely showed up with the cooling guage 3/4 or more to the right. I was definitely worried about having to pull over and rest the little gerbils in the engine. Now admittedly I was reving the little 3.8 because I have not regeared and the transimssion is kicking in and out. As far as braking, that was a non issue with a brake controller and electronic brakes, stability was greatly enhanced with a sway bar (long side profile of the pop-up) and stance was fine with a set of air lift 1000 air bags.

I have also towed the same trailer and load with my Wife's Pathfinder Off-road (Listed towing capacity is 6,500 lbs; the V8 Pathfinder is listed at 8000 lbs due to the larger engine) and what a difference. If you look at wheel base and other particulars of these two vehicles they are not that different. I think they perform equally well in both braking and stability. The difference I noticed was in engine performance. Nissan has a great engine in their 4.0 L V6 and it shows it in my towing experience. No cooling issues and always plently of power to spare. (This engine would rock in the Jeep).

So while there may be legal issues regarding towing greater than stated trailer weights, I can't imagine that upgrading the power and also the cooling would not increase the towing capacity of a 4 door Unlimited. I don't think the same would cross over to the 2-door because of the short wheel base. I think a four door could reasonably tow about 5000 lbs with a hemi upgrade. Almost all vehciles have increasing towing capacity with increasing motor size despite having the same frame.

Last edited by Bobicon; 07-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Typical Liberal Canadian Response I guess. Criticize instead of joining a constructive dialogue or read the full thread. It's getting old my northern friend..

Quick Reply: Towing capacity increases with Hemi swap?