Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Toyo open country M/Ts vs Goodyear kevlars

Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo open country M/Ts vs Goodyear kevlars

Seen a lot of both types of tires at EJS in Moab. I have ProComp XM/Ts happy with them so far. But expect to buy new set by end of year. Any one have a take on pro/cons of the two? Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Good luck getting 35 inch plus goodyear MTR's Waiting list I hear, I got mine over the winter and only a three day wait!!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

one word for Toyo MT's....winning no real cons other than heavy

Sam
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had MTR/Ks first and now am running the Toyos. I like the Toyos but think Ill go back to the MTRs when the Toyos are done. The Toyos are an awesome looking tire and ride good on the road. They are heavy and you can feel the difference between the two. I havent had the Toyos off road yet but I hear great things about them. The MTR/Ks were awesome off road too based on my personal experience. As the MTR/K wore, it did not want to stay in balance.

Flash

Last edited by Flash1034; 04-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

There is a performance tire called MTR and the other tires that wanna be a MTR.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snopro269
There is a performance tire called MTR and the other tires that wanna be a MTR.
Yeah, they all wanna be on a six month back order, and be out of round by a large amount. Toyo mt's are the roundest tires on the market and the toughest as well.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 AM
JK Super Freak

You mean a tire that doesn't like 6-7 degrees castor or 1/8-1/4 toe in. Lol yeah I hear ya !!!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Toyos are super heavy. My local tire shop wont sell them anymore because they have had so many problems with the Toyos cupping and wearing funny. The MTRs are on backorder and have had some problems with balancing in the past, but so have the Toyos. I have heard good and bad stories about both tires. I have seen first had a lot of Toyos that were cupped and ruined at 20k-30k miles. I dont think you can go wrong with either, but you will get better gas mileage out of the MTRs.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Super Freak

If I could afford it I would have a set of offroad tires and a set of highway tires mounted on rims. Ahh that's right I do have that. It's a bitch dragging a trailer with me where ever I go to carry the other set!!!
I think really with a 35 plus sized tire a person kinda shoots the dice with tire balance and wear issues. I think each person needs to find a tire that suits his or her lifestyle and on and offroad requirements.
I think they are all over priced!!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kntr
Toyos are super heavy. My local tire shop wont sell them anymore because they have had so many problems with the Toyos cupping and wearing funny. The MTRs are on backorder and have had some problems with balancing in the past, but so have the Toyos. I have heard good and bad stories about both tires. I have seen first had a lot of Toyos that were cupped and ruined at 20k-30k miles. I dont think you can go wrong with either, but you will get better gas mileage out of the MTRs.
I think weight is important consideration. I keep adding mods and more weight, If traction and sidewall support is about the same, then I'm leaning with lower weight.
Great feedback, Thanks

Quick Reply: Toyo open country M/Ts vs Goodyear kevlars