Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Stem sticking out on Pintler wheel

Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS Stem sticking out on Pintler wheel

My Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor valve stem sticks out past the lip of the Pintler wheel. Pretty much defeats the purpose of the protected valve stem. The shop that put on the tires (Discount Tires) said there are kits to recess the TPMS so the stem won't stick out so far, but had no other information.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone solve it?

Chucking the TPMS is not the answer - I don't like bells and flashing lights. Besides, the little butt symbol (_!_) annoys me enough when I air down!

Edit: Apparently this is normal. I asked AEV about it and here is their reply:

"Thank you for purchasing our products. Our conversion vehicles utilize the factory TPMS and yes they do protrude from the protective lip. They do need to stick out farther to utilize standard air inflation gauges to be able to inflate he tire. We have not had any issues regarding the valve stem extending past the protective lip. Thanks again."

Still would like to pull in the sensor some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pintler with TPMS Stem.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	15949

Last edited by AZJeeper; 11-26-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At lest you have a protective lip, my new wheels dont even have that but I have wheeled some rough stuff without issues. The wheel will generally catch before the stem will.

You can seee in this photo the stem sticks way out at the bottom of the rim. I too have tpms.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the TPMS screws on, couldn't you just put a thicker washer on the inside or something to pull it in a little bit?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Since the TPMS screws on, couldn't you just put a thicker washer on the inside or something to pull it in a little bit?

Name:	TPMS.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	15950

Thought of that, but the base of the TPMS needs to seat against the wheel to seal it (red arrow). The jamb nut (blue arrow) screws from the outside and seems to have some extra threads that would suggest the stem could be pulled in if there was a way to make a seal.

Discount Tire said some 4x4 shops have TPMS adapters that pull the stem in a bit (mounts the TPMS further inside the tire). They mentioned 4x4 Group Buy might have them but I couldn't find any. Did find one mount that pulls the whole TPMS inside the wheel and then you just use a regular valve stem. Thinking of maybe going that route. Hard to tell from the picture, but the TPMS is mounted to a bracket that attaches to the base of a regular valve stem.

Name:	TPMS Mount.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	15951
Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That adapter is a pretty cool idea. Had a friend sheer his TPMS stem off a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully it just took the end off, just about the valve insert. Wasn't a problem until he went to put air in it later.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

AZJeeper - It looks like they are still recessed from the edge of the rim?

If you recess them too far would there be a problem receiving the signal from them?

One of these days I will be getting the same wheels, and this is the first I’ve heard of the TPMS “clearance” issue. Thanks for bringing it up - hope to see a good solution.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Junkie

I have the same wheels, but since my JK is an 2007 I do not have the tire pressure monitor system. My valve stems are a little more recessed than what your pics displays. IMO, I think you are still safe, as most of the valve stem is still protected. If you push the valve stem to the side as is, it is still protected. I would doubt that something is still capable of ripping it off.

Quick Reply: TPMS Stem sticking out on Pintler wheel