Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction aiding devices

Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction aiding devices

Just wondering if anyone has added a traction aiding device to their JK yet, front or rear?

I had a lock-rite in the front of my XJ and think that was the best money I ever spent as far as impact to off road abilities go. Wondering if they mess with the ESP? I can't imagine it would, but figured that I would ask if anyone has experience yet.

Working thru the thought of building up a X over buying a Rubi, to save a few $$. If I were to get a X, I would be wanting to throw something in the front and rear, like a Lock-rite.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Please get a RUBI and have a wonderful life.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

A rubi would be fun outta the box, but I went with the X because all the fancy toys on the rubi would just be replaced by even better aftermarket parts anyways. The only difference between a built up rubi and a built up X is about $7,000 and a sticker. ....Although it would be nice to have dual D44's underneath...
Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I was thinking about this more.....

Ok, let me test the logic here:

BLD - in a normal situation, the wheel speed is monitered and the brake is applied to the slipping (going too fast) wheel, and for the fronts, the turing radius has to be taken into account since the wheels naturally travel at different speeds during a turn.

Enter a lock-right:
1. Normal full traction situations, the outside front tire will over-run the inside tire (read travel at a higher speed, as the lock-right clicks away) and there would be no problems.

2. 4 hi operation on a snowy road, you turn, and slip. Lock-right kicks in, front wheels turn the same speed since the lock-right is doing it's job. The ESP reads it as wheel slippage from the front inside tire and applies braking pressure to this wheel. Since the lock-right is engaged, I think it will have the effect of braking both front wheels, but never solving the problem that it thinks it has since the lock-right will hold the rotation the same speed. The braking would continue until the turn is over and the front and rear wheels are traveling the same speed. Does this sound right? Can the ESP be turned off when traveling in 4 hi?

3. 4 lo operation would be similar to 4 hi, but I understand that ESP can be turned off (right?) which would solve the problem.

Does all of this sound right?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

ESP is automatically turned off in 4 lo, and can be manually turned off for any condition.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cdash
Ok, let me test the logic here:

BLD - in a normal situation, the wheel speed is monitered and the brake is applied to the slipping (going too fast) wheel, and for the fronts, the turing radius has to be taken into account since the wheels naturally travel at different speeds during a turn.

Enter a lock-right:
1. Normal full traction situations, the outside front tire will over-run the inside tire (read travel at a higher speed, as the lock-right clicks away) and there would be no problems.

2. 4 hi operation on a snowy road, you turn, and slip. Lock-right kicks in, front wheels turn the same speed since the lock-right is doing it's job. The ESP reads it as wheel slippage from the front inside tire and applies braking pressure to this wheel. Since the lock-right is engaged, I think it will have the effect of braking both front wheels, but never solving the problem that it thinks it has since the lock-right will hold the rotation the same speed. The braking would continue until the turn is over and the front and rear wheels are traveling the same speed. Does this sound right? Can the ESP be turned off when traveling in 4 hi?

3. 4 lo operation would be similar to 4 hi, but I understand that ESP can be turned off (right?) which would solve the problem.

Does all of this sound right?
Sounds right.
You can disable some portion of it in 2HI . Not sure what it is witout the manual, but the effect is you can spin tires around corners without it cutting power at the engine, like it typically does.

I would go selectable front if you drive on snowy icey roads. It may just be me, but i don't want my offroad mods making things worse for me on road. I make exceptions for bigger tires, since I can plan on increased braking distance. I just dont want to slide off of a slick road due to my locker trying to "help" when I wasn't expecting it.
This is the one area where open diffs do better that one inactive wheel will help maintain some lateral stability when the other is spinning.

Quick Reply: Traction aiding devices