Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction Control issues

Old 07-16-2015, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control issues

Greetings to all like minded adventure people.

I have a problem that is hopefully not a new one and easily remedied. When I drive my jeep, on 35s, around some corners in town, at what I presume to be perfectly reasonable speeds, the traction control has a tendency to question my judgment and apply the brakes to one of the outside wheels during the turn. I recently re-calibrated the computer with the help of a fancy Superchip Flashpaq. I thought that would fix the issue for obvious reasons but it seems my traction control and I are destined to never get along. Any ideas? Can i unplug some wires and never have it bother me again? Will that leave the lights on the dashboard on forever?

Some one please tell me there is a hope.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google jeep steering wheel dance you'll get instructions how to turn it off there
Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

A thousand thanks, but will this have to be a daily process or will it stay off until I reverse the process. Aka does turning the jeep off and on again reset the dance?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RADAR
A thousand thanks, but will this have to be a daily process or will it stay off until I reverse the process. Aka does turning the jeep off and on again reset the dance?
You don't have to do it everyday lol it's hard you have to try it several times to get it to work.... I gave up after 3-4 tries and live with the annoying situation lol ..... I know you can turn it off for good but my wheeling buddy/licensed mechanic advised me not to.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

thanks I appreciate the help! I'm thinking of manually setting up a kill switch for the traction control but running a switch to one of the wheel sensors. After some research, and if I do it, I'll post a write up with pics and results.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

You should google the ESP kill switch mod. There is a wire under the center console you tap into with a switch, and it's really easy to do. You can mount your switch inside the console if you want it hidden, or on the front of the console like I did mine. It's super handy, but it also kills the ABS.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is your steering wheel centered ?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I do not have your problem! But, I did install the kill switch and use upon start up. Just tap into wire as come out from under center console on drivers side to where ever you put switch.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Hey bill! Can't wait to go wheeling this weekend. Gonna be another fun trip I think. So in to your situation. As others have suggested, is your steering wheel centered? I have esp issues when I mess with my trac bar or drag link lengths. The steering wheel needs to be centered or the jeep will think you are in a really long, permanent skid. If it isn't, we can center it when we get together in Sunday if you want.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to re-center your steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Traction Control issues