Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case questions

Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transfer case questions

I was thinking of changing out my transfer case to a Rubicon unit. I have a Sahara. A few questions:

1. I assume the X and Saharas use the NV241 Gen II and the Rubicons use the NV241OR. Is this correct?

2. Is this a simple bolt in swap or are there differences between the regular t-case and the rubicon? And will I be able to use my stock rear driveshaft with the rubicon case?

3. Have any of you priced out a re-manned unit. I deal with a shop that is a Jasper dealer and am thinking of getting a re-manned unit. Don't know the price yet.

4. I'm getting a new front driveshaft anyways. It shouldn't matter, but do the rubicons use the same companion flange that the X and Saharas use or are they u-joint style? I guess this would be answered in question 2.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
1. I assume the X and Saharas use the NV241 Gen II and the Rubicons use the NV241OR. Is this correct?

2. Is this a simple bolt in swap or are there differences between the regular t-case and the rubicon? And will I be able to use my stock rear driveshaft with the rubicon case?
yes, it's a simple bolt on and go and yes, you will be able to use your stock rear drive shaft.

3. Have any of you priced out a re-manned unit. I deal with a shop that is a Jasper dealer and am thinking of getting a re-manned unit. Don't know the price yet.
haven't seen any re-manned units out there but, i have seen used ones go for about $800

4. I'm getting a new front driveshaft anyways. It shouldn't matter, but do the rubicons use the same companion flange that the X and Saharas use or are they u-joint style? I guess this would be answered in question 2.
yes.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of changing out my transfer case to a Rubicon unit. I have a Sahara. A few questions:

Thanks.
If you are running an automatic look into a rubicrawler. You will have more gear versatility and low range 2WD.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

I have a manual. Am I correct that the Rubicon is the NV431OR (4.0:1 ratio) and the Xs and Sahara use the NV431 Gen II (2.72:1 ratio)?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

I have a manual. Am I correct that the Rubicon is the NV431OR (4.0:1 ratio) and the Xs and Sahara use the NV431 Gen II (2.72:1 ratio)?
No. The Rubicon has the NV241OR (4.0:1 ratio), and the X's and Saharas have the NV241 Gen II (2.72:1 ratio).
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No. The Rubicon has the NV241OR (4.0:1 ratio), and the Saharas have the NV241 Gen II (2.72:1 ratio).
Oops, my bad that is what I meant. Thank you guys for all the info. I'll post here what a re-manned unit costs from Jasper.

Quick Reply: Transfer case questions