Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfercase output shaft slop!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfercase output shaft slop!

Does anyone else have just the slightest bit of movement in their front output shaft on the transfercase?

I stopped at the local dealership and crawled under two new ones and could feel the slop in these new ones also.

If you can let me know by grabbing the front flange and giving it an up/down and side/side to see if there is any slop or if it is rock solid like the back output shaft.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

I do, and my friends is a little worse than mine. Seems to be normal? Who knows.

Sent using my SuperSmartThinky Phone
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I noticed this also, after changing to Coast DS front and rear. I have been thinking about this and believe it might be because the front out put shaft is not engaged. I have not had time to check and see if goes away, once you engage 4wheel drive.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Posting some video would be helpful.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
Posting some video would be helpful.
That's the problem. It's not enough to see, but it can be felt by hand.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, if you felt this when inspecting a unit bearing you'd replace it. It feels like worn bearings, but apparently they are made like this.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AaronJK
Yeah, if you felt this when inspecting a unit bearing you'd replace it. It feels like worn bearings, but apparently they are made like this.

I know it's weird, when I could feel it in a brand new one I thought it was normal. I am just trying to get a feel for how many others have the same issue. Maybe if everyone reports the same thing we could all call it normal. Maybe if only 50 percent have it then it would be something to be concerned about.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
I noticed this also, after changing to Coast DS front and rear. I have been thinking about this and believe it might be because the front out put shaft is not engaged. I have not had time to check and see if goes away, once you engage 4wheel drive.
How long have you been running your coast shafts?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Team Desert Eagle
I know it's weird, when I could feel it in a brand new one I thought it was normal. I am just trying to get a feel for how many others have the same issue. Maybe if everyone reports the same thing we could all call it normal. Maybe if only 50 percent have it then it would be something to be concerned about.
I know what you're saying, I feel the same way about this. My friend's Jeep has this as well but a little worse. He has a '10 Sahara and I have an '08 Rubi. When I pulled the flange off to install the yoke for my 1310 ds a lot of fluid came out so I can't imagine it not being well lubricated.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AaronJK

I know what you're saying, I feel the same way about this. My friend's Jeep has this as well but a little worse. He has a '10 Sahara and I have an '08 Rubi. When I pulled the flange off to install the yoke for my 1310 ds a lot of fluid came out so I can't imagine it not being well lubricated.

How long have you run the new 1310

I put on a coast front driveshaft a week and a half ago and rolled my front pinion to 2.5 degrees up which gives me a 3.5 degree caster. I have no vibes, steers great, no issues at all. I am running a 4.5" BDS lift.

Quick Reply: Transfercase output shaft slop!