Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission Failure - LOOKING FOR SOLUTION

Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Failure - LOOKING FOR SOLUTION

Hello there,

Issue:
I just recently had my automatic transmission fail on me and took it to the dealer to fix it. They said the oil inside the transmission was completely burned and that is due to the plates slipping. They also said the plates inside the transmission were slipping because I have 33-35" tires with stock differential. And to prevent this from happening in the future, they suggested either to change the differential or put back the stock tires.

Jeep stat:
- My Wrangler is 2010 Unlimited sport
- Tires are 33"-35" with 2 or 2.5" lift
- RIPP supercharge
- Aftermarket front and rear bumpers

Click image for larger version

Name:	1382860_10152020582941062_1888255868_n.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	570925

Question:
- If the dealer's suggestion is correct and I chose to go back to stock tires, would I need to take off the bumpers so that the tires will be able to handle the weight?
- If their suggestion is false, then what could be the real cause for the oil in the transmission to be burned?

Thanks,
Abdulla
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 AM
JK Freak

that dealer is full of crap. there was more then likely something wrong with that transmission. tons of people are running wranglers from 2007-2015 model years with sticks and autos and 33+ inch tires and not burning up their fluids.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gears do you have ? Do you have 33" or 35" tires? Are you hard on the skinny peddle ?
See you have Ripp super charger..idk..
Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your dealer is full of crap too! I talk to guys regularly whom are running 35-37 on factory diffs and axles with no transmission issues. And almost all of us who wheel have aftermarket bumpers so that's not it either. And let's say they are right.. If our wranglers can't handle big tires and bumpers than they aren't building them as tough as they should. We might as well get hummers or FJ!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever get the HOTOIL warning?

Looking at your set up, I'm thinking you're getting reduced air flow over through the grill.
The 42RLE auto transmission is woefully under cooled and realistically requires an auxiliary cooler.
Since you have the export model, did it come with or ever get a better cooler?

Heres a link to a photo (in post 13) of a JK in Egypt with the international model cooler visible:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...r=#post2253473

The US JKs with the 42RLE trans got a recall, J30, to install the HOTOIL warning. International models got at least a TSB, possibly a recall, to install the additional cooler. I've seen the TSB, if I find it I'll post it.

You might want a powerful auxiliary cooler complete with it's own fan, if you have room in there!

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link for the TSB for international vehicles:

http://www.wrangler-life.com/sites/d...CoolerKits.pdf

If the link is dead, search:
Service Bulletin: Number 07-002-10
Group: Cooling Date: Feb 16 2010
Subject: Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler Kit

I'll not that subsequent to this TSB, jeep has made available a plug and play auxiliary cooler kit (at least here in the US).

mopar part number 82212486
Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdulla
Hello there,

Issue:
I just recently had my automatic transmission fail on me and took it to the dealer to fix it. They said the oil inside the transmission was completely burned and that is due to the plates slipping. They also said the plates inside the transmission were slipping because I have 33-35" tires with stock differential. And to prevent this from happening in the future, they suggested either to change the differential or put back the stock tires.

Jeep stat:
- My Wrangler is 2010 Unlimited sport
- Tires are 33"-35" with 2 or 2.5" lift
- RIPP supercharge
- Aftermarket front and rear bumpers

Attachment 570925

Question:
- If the dealer's suggestion is correct and I chose to go back to stock tires, would I need to take off the bumpers so that the tires will be able to handle the weight?
- If their suggestion is false, then what could be the real cause for the oil in the transmission to be burned?

Thanks,
Abdulla
Bigger tires
Stock gears
Using the extra power of the RIPP
Blocked front grill
Lifted, (further reducing air flow through the grill)
Inadequate stock transmission cooler, (unless you have an extra cooler from the factory)
The transmission being a load range 2, (that's the 2 in 42RLE)
Extra weight
Added stress of sand dunes
High ambient temperatures

I'm not surprised the 42RLE failed. It all adds up to more than the transmission can take.

I'd say the dealer is on the right track. Changing gears would relieve a lot of the stress on the transmission. Consider changing some of the other items in the list, too.

How much of the list in this post applies to you? I can't tell from your other posts if you are in Oregon or in Qatar.
And do you have a US made JK? Or is yours made for the export market?

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-13-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Bigger tires
Stock gears
Using the extra power of the RIPP
Blocked front grill
Lifted, (further reducing air flow through the grill)
Inadequate stock transmission cooler, (unless you have an extra cooler from the factory)
The transmission being a load range 2, (that's the 2 in 42RLE)
Extra weight
Added stress of sand dunes
High ambient temperatures

I'm not surprised the 42RLE failed. It all adds up to more than the transmission can take.

I'd say the dealer is on the right track. Changing gears would relieve a lot of the stress on the transmission. Consider changing some of the other items in the list, too.

How much of the list in this post applies to you? I can't tell from your other posts if you are in Oregon or in Qatar.
And do you have a US made JK? Or is yours made for the export market?
Profile says Qatar.

I would recommend a gear swap at minimum, from what I know of Qatar there is sand every where and that means extra stress on your drivetrain and then add the rip supercharger to that and that is a recipe for transmission failure especially with no added cooling. Do a gear swap and you will be good to go! that is assuming the stock trans can hold the extra power the Ripp makes.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure - LOOKING FOR SOLUTION