Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission Noise any help appreciated!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Noise any help appreciated!

Last year I took the machine off roading on some mild trails. There was a particular spot where it was kind of tough for my jeep to get up because one wheel (front passengers side) was not touching. I couldn't make it up the hill in 4hi but I sure did try hard. I rolled it back and went into 4lo. This was all very muddy rutted (rudded?) trails but still mostly solid and none of the trails were very hard to do and my Jeep performed excellent (of course right!!!!)

So anyway the trip was 4 hours away and when we were done I drove to a gas station to air up my tires (only a few miles on small country roads) I noticed I heard kind of a weird grinding/ticking sound. I figured it was just loose gravel or mud stuck in the various crevases and areas under the Jeep so I ignored it.

A few days later I washed it and it was still making the noise but it only seemed to be making it when I accelerated so eventually I just started thinking that it was mud/water stuck in the differential, axle tubing.

FAST FORWARD TO PRESENT TIME

A couple of weeks ago I changed all the fluids, oil, transfercase, transmission, front and rear differentials and the noise for the most part went away. After a few weeks worth of driving the noise gradually got worse than when it was before. This only happens when I'm accelerating on the highway usually but I am starting to hear it more in town when in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th when the transmision is naturally a little quieter.

This noise can only really be described of rocks being rolled around in the transmission. I have checked all the common exhaust spots for leaks I do not feel this is a normal sound and I can definatley tell this is coming from the drive train somewhere. It happens in 4wd or 2wd.

2008 Sahara 2 door 6 speed. No drivetrain modifications of any sort, and not until recently earlier this week have I installed anything so the noise was not due to any modifications.

The vehicle does not clunk or make any real noises to point towards a broken gear. My guess is some bearing blew or (hopefully) the clutch just needs to be replaced and is still somewhat drivable until I can save up for that.

Does anybody have any suggestions or anything to try before I take it into the dealership for them to rape my wallet on some transmission swap?

I do not have a warranty :(
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

:(....................
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like something clutch related. Like the throw out bearing maybe.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Sounds like something clutch related. Like the throw out bearing maybe.
Has this happened to anybody with similar results? Can pounding down on that clutch, trying to go up a hill hard cause the bearing to blow up prematurely?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi

We're u deep in mud?? Using the clutch in deep stuff can let mud into the clutch and make a noise. It's usually like a chirp noise. Mine was replaced before due to that. Mine makes a noise now that I know is either the throw out bearing, or the springs on the pressure plate.
The stock jk clutch is Crap and once mine goes again I will be putting in a centerforce.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

We're u deep in mud?? Using the clutch in deep stuff can let mud into the clutch and make a noise. It's usually like a chirp noise. Mine was replaced before due to that. Mine makes a noise now that I know is either the throw out bearing, or the springs on the pressure plate.
The stock jk clutch is Crap and once mine goes again I will be putting in a centerforce.
There were parts where I was in pretty deep mud and sat there for a little bit waiting for some folks ahead of me. I wasn't aware that mud can get into the area where the clutch is! That would make sense though because it sounds like rocks roling around in the transmission area. How would I be able to tell if it were a more serious transmission issue like a bearing IN the transmission? Is there a more distinct sound or a louder sound or a continuous sound?

This happens usually after driving it for a little bit after stuff warms up so usually after about 30 minutes of driving. Would something in the clutch act the same way?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sometimes sounds can be tricky. You said you only hear it when under acceleration? Take a minute to inspect your driveshafts and u-joints. Grab the driveshafts and shake them around, make sure there is no loose play and/or noises. Then jack up your front tires one at a time and watch the axle ujoint as you rotate the tire forwards and backwards for any loose play. This may not be the problem, but it is certainly easier to check first before pulling your tranny.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Yep sounds just like mine. Mine has been like that for a while. No problems just an annoying noise. Doesn't do it when cold only warmed up.
If u look at the bellhousing there are slits and that's where Crap can enter. If u are in deep stuff u don't wanna push the clutch at all. If u stall u can start it in gear in 4low.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by l00py1211
Sometimes sounds can be tricky. You said you only hear it when under acceleration? Take a minute to inspect your driveshafts and u-joints. Grab the driveshafts and shake them around, make sure there is no loose play and/or noises. Then jack up your front tires one at a time and watch the axle ujoint as you rotate the tire forwards and backwards for any loose play. This may not be the problem, but it is certainly easier to check first before pulling your tranny.
I will certainly give that a try this weekend thank you for the tip!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep sounds just like mine. Mine has been like that for a while. No problems just an annoying noise. Doesn't do it when cold only warmed up.
If u look at the bellhousing there are slits and that's where Crap can enter. If u are in deep stuff u don't wanna push the clutch at all. If u stall u can start it in gear in 4low.
Wow thats crazy I just found out about the starting in 4lo when I was reading the owners manual. It's some good toilet reading

I im not sure if I was in deep mud at the time I was going up the hill I just think I was maybe a little too hard on her but I wasn't sure if that can cause the transmission to give out. But then again I never off roaded in my last TJ and I went through a transmission and engine. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have this baby

Quick Reply: Transmission Noise any help appreciated!