Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transporting a Kayak

Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting a Kayak

Ive finally gotten the ambition to fab up a kayak rack for my 2D softtop JK. Im planning on making the back similar to the lange rack, but mounting it to the tire carrier mounting bolts.

For the front, I was hoping I could get the foam kayak carriers, and simply place the foam between the boat and the windshield. Any reason this would damage my jeep, not hold or otherwise be a bad plan?

Thank for the advice!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Sounds like it should work... pics when you git-r-done...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:55 AM
JK Newbie

Will do.

How about tie off points? I think a strap going through each door all the way around the boat will work, a strap shouldn't be thick enough to interfere with the door latching. How about the windshield tiedown? Is there enough strentch there to use it as a tieoff point?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good keep us posted, im looking at doing something similar, on another note, ive used straps around something on the roof then looped them through the jeep with the hardtop and doors on, and they shut just fine.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tie the bow off to the front frame. Up underneath there are some holes you can use. I wouldn't use the hood tiedown as it's just not strong enough. (plastic I think) Next kayaking season I'm going to get the Safari Light Bar (1/2 of the Safari watersports rack!) for the windshield to mount my j-bars to and use one rear crossbar on the hardtop.

You should be able to tie it around the door opening. I've done it before but you will get wet if it's raining!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Freak

You could always make a T bar kind of rack that slides into the receiver hitch in the rear. I have seen this done and it would work and also be easily removable.

Fellow Mainers!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Freak

I bought the Warrior front light bar for a Kayak carrier. It give you a good place to put the foam and is easy to tie off on, plus it comes off real easy.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

I was looking for some pics of mine, but cannot locate. I have a 4dr, but I am sure this would work on your 2door.

I have two kayaks - 16' & 14' so when hauling there is a sweet spot for how far apart I want the bars or rack. So I use a Yakima Raingutter set up. The front will mount into the rain gutter on the hard top. They make a very small raingutter mounting bracket that you can buy that is an easy two bolt set up. I put mine in the very top rear corner of the hardtop. Your fronts are totally adjustable (front to back in the raingutter) while your back bar is fixed (no adjustment front to back). You have a regular rack with bars set up. The simplist most secure way to transport kayaks. It takes me about 1 minute to pull off the entire rack set up and about 3 minutes to put back on. Very very easy.
You also have full access to the rear at all times.

If you don't have a hard top this won't work....

I bought my raingutter set up used for about 90.00. I would recommend getting the widest bars - I haul two kayaks and still have some wiggle room for more.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thought about the 2" reciever, but keep hearing how much they move. Wrapped up the welding today, letting the paint dry. Gonna throw on a couple more coats, and will grab pics tomorrow. Its simple, but solid. Ill have ~$20 into it, since the welding is free. Ill try foam for the front for now, if I dont like it ll either grab a light bar or make one.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

can't wait to see the pics. i just started pondering this last weekend when we had to jam 3 kayaks in/on my sister's KJ cuz i couldn't load any on the jeep. good luck man!

Quick Reply: Transporting a Kayak