Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TrueTrac Eaton's Front and Rear

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack, but after reading many posts and thinking things over it is time for me to pull the trigger also. I have an Appt. Monday to get 5.13's and Detriot True-tracs front and rear. Hopefully all goes well. Will report back when I can.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

To update on the front TrueTrac, I have been driving in the 2+ foot snows last weekend and today and have felt the front LSD engage a couple times and it seems to be helping with traction. I have been able to push through completely unplowed snow with no issues at all while in 4 High. I also felt it engage Saturday trying to get in my driveway which had a 4 foot wall in front of it from the plow. I will give another report when I can get back out to Rausch Creek to truly test it.

BTW, I still have not tested the rear ARB locker that was installed with my gears. I am waiting to get the first 1000 miles on the gears before engaging. I can't wait to hit some rocks and mud with the TrueTrac in the front and locker in the rear.[/QUOTE]

so how has the front locker been on paved , dry roads? you know, daily driving?

how is it driving on the road in snowy conditions?

thanx for your input on the subject its really helpful.....

let me know when your going to rausch, if you dont mind i'd like to tag along as well...maybe i'll have my gears n lockers in as well....
Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roguejk

so how has the front locker been on paved , dry roads? you know, daily driving?

how is it driving on the road in snowy conditions?

thanx for your input on the subject its really helpful.....

let me know when your going to rausch, if you dont mind i'd like to tag along as well...maybe i'll have my gears n lockers in as well....
I only have a locker in the rear, the front is the TrueTrac which is a limited slip. As for road handling, the front doesn't do anything until engaged in 4wd, so on the highway it has been great. Works great in 4High in snowy conditions, I have felt it engage a couple times in deeper snow when I was trying to mash down 3 feet of snow for a neighbor who didn't shovel. I have been using it all week last week with lots of snow here in PA. Since I put an ARB in the rear, I lost me stock LSD which I have not even noticed.

Do you get out to Rausch often? I am trying to plan a trip out there in late March once it warms up a bit.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by phljeeper
I only have a locker in the rear, the front is the TrueTrac which is a limited slip. As for road handling, the front doesn't do anything until engaged in 4wd, so on the highway it has been great. Works great in 4High in snowy conditions, I have felt it engage a couple times in deeper snow when I was trying to mash down 3 feet of snow for a neighbor who didn't shovel. I have been using it all week last week with lots of snow here in PA. Since I put an ARB in the rear, I lost me stock LSD which I have not even noticed.

Do you get out to Rausch often? I am trying to plan a trip out there in late March once it warms up a bit.
Not to hijack...this may be a little late, but what did you do with the rear LSD??? I would definitely be interested in taking that of your hands if you still have it. I don't think I'm located that far from you, so I could take it off your hands easily. (Reading, PA) I am regearing within the next few months (as money allows) and am thinking of going with a TrueTrac in the front and the LSD in the back. Just looking for a used LSD right now, otherwise I might be looking for some other sort of locker or LSD for the rear...I was also considering a selectable locker (as money allows), but this LSD might be the ticket. So...you still got it?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
Not to hijack...this may be a little late, but what did you do with the rear LSD??? I would definitely be interested in taking that of your hands if you still have it. I don't think I'm located that far from you, so I could take it off your hands easily. (Reading, PA) I am regearing within the next few months (as money allows) and am thinking of going with a TrueTrac in the front and the LSD in the back. Just looking for a used LSD right now, otherwise I might be looking for some other sort of locker or LSD for the rear...I was also considering a selectable locker (as money allows), but this LSD might be the ticket. So...you still got it?
Are you sure you didn't get a LSD in the back from the factory?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Are you sure you didn't get a LSD in the back from the factory?
I am pretty much positive at this point...I am not 100% though. I know I have a base X with junky 3.21s and I got convenience package 23S, no tow package. As I understand it the tow package included the LSD, I guess I really need to look at my sticker...if I can find it. I'll post up when I know for sure, is it odd not to have the LSD? I mean I know I have ESP, but as I understand it that is basically a brake-modulated traction control and not a limited slip...
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

I am pretty much positive at this point...I am not 100% though. I know I have a base X with junky 3.21s and I got convenience package 23S, no tow package. As I understand it the tow package included the LSD, I guess I really need to look at my sticker...if I can find it. I'll post up when I know for sure, is it odd not to have the LSD? I mean I know I have ESP, but as I understand it that is basically a brake-modulated traction control and not a limited slip...
write your vin # down and call a dealer they should be able to tell you if you have a lsd. Just a guess but with that model I bet it does not. Won't hurt to call though to find out for sure. Or just do what blacknorthern said and jack it up.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

My original inquiry still stands. Looks as though I definitely don't have a limited slip. dammit. I am between the TrueTrac for the front and an Aussie - do these both pretty much do the same thing??? Anybody else considering the Aussie as well?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My original inquiry still stands. Looks as though I definitely don't have a limited slip. dammit. I am between the TrueTrac for the front and an Aussie - do these both pretty much do the same thing??? Anybody else considering the Aussie as well?
They are very different. The Aussie is an automatic locker that will auto activate on wheel slip fully locking the front axle (same torque to both wheels no matter if one is slipping or off the ground). It will only activate then the axle is engaged so if you install in the front it only locks when in 4wd which with snow you could be on the highway in 4 hi and have the front axle lock causing you issues. These are typically not great for those in a heavy snow area like PA. You may want to read up on this before going with an auto locker. The TrueTrac is a high end limited slip that functions very similar to the stock LSD but much better. Just like the Aussie, it will only function when the axle is engaged so if you install in the front it would only help in 4wd, but unlike the aussie it does not fully lock the axle, it just shifts torque to the wheel that is not slipping to allow the best available traction.

I would be cautious installing a locker on your Dana 30 in the front. I would be very concerned with a auto locker engaging at highway speeds in 4 High that you could bend an axle.

Last edited by phljeeper; 02-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you have the same factory setup as I got...mine had the LSD. I'ts easy to check, just lift the back wheels up and spin the tire as I mentioned earlier here

Quick Reply: TrueTrac Eaton's Front and Rear