Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trying to figure what lift this is.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure what lift this is.

I bought my jeep awhile ago, it was already lifted, no stickers on the components.
I added new wheels, tires, winch, etc.
curious if anyone recognizes the lift. I am assuming RC. I want to atleast replace shocks, but maybe the whole lift. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Based on the color of springs and shocks, and the shock bodies down, I think RC is probably a good guess. Have you measured the lift height? Does it have a drop pitman arm installed?

Old 07-10-2020, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Based on the color of springs and shocks, and the shock bodies down, I think RC is probably a good guess. Have you measured the lift height? Does it have a drop pitman arm installed?
it had a drop Pittman arm on it when I bought it, but the steering was horrible. And the overall geometry. Worked with a local shop and put a factory arm back in.. steering is great, on the highway or offroad. Threw that arm away though.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

When the drop pitman was removed, was the TB mount on the axle side lowered again? If not, you want to keep that DL and TB relatively parallel. Almost all of us that are lifted high enough to use a high-steer setup prefer to flip the DL to the top of the knuckle (and raise the TB mount) rather than dropping the frame side. RC uses that drop pitman as that is common setup in a lifted pickup. It just doesn't work well on the JK and so many steering headache threads on the forums come right back to that stupid thing.

At the very least throw some decent shocks on there. Springs are what they are and you can work around them if you want. If you plan to keep the jeep for a long time and use it offroad, you really might be better served buying a lift that you want and selling those springs for a small bit. In the long run you'd probably be happier.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

So shock is 21.5 and spring is 12.5 -13
Old 07-10-2020, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

they are relatively parallel. I offroad pretty often. I believe they are also RC lower control arms, aren't factory square? These are round. But on RC website the only lift that comes with the lower control arms is 4in lift +
Old 07-10-2020, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yes, the factory front lower arms are square'ish. Those look to be aftermarket. They may have come with a kit or been installed later. No telling how long that has been installed, and the kits may have changed over the years. I'd guess that is a 3.5" kit and the front bumper combined with a little sag in the spring is netting you closer to 3" currently. You're not going to find many people that are going to have anything good to say about RC on here, but there are several members here to help with whatever you decide to do.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Vet (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Well thanks for the info, and I'll definitely be upgrading in the near future. Want to stay around 3in and not crazy expensive. Which I know quality is expensive. Lol
thanks again!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Vet
But on RC website the only lift that comes with the lower control arms is 4in lift +
Currently. In the past, the RC 3.5" lift has shipped with Cam Bolts, Lower Fixed Arms, Two sets of Arms, and now it comes with Brackets. Just depends on when it was made/bought.

As noted above, the drop pitman works in conjunction with a bracket on the trackbar to keep it and the draglink parallel. If that bracket was removed when the factory pitman went back on, the axle would have shifted over to one side. (assuming the taller coils stayed on...) Did the shop install an adjustable trackbar to re-center the axle? (or is it currently shifted over? Or is the bracket still installed?)

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-10-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure what lift this is.