Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuffy conceal and carry security drawer

Old 05-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tuffy conceal and carry security drawer

Just a quick question on this.... Is the 3rd bolt (needs to be drilled) necessary for this product? I'm thinking I can do this installation myself since it's only two bolts but if anyone has some installation advice on this product I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does this lock with a key or a combination? I think I have seen both for some reason.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't need to drill to install the drilling is an extra step I did not do. Great product bolts in with factory seat bolts. The third bolt would bolt it to the jeep floor. Like i said I did not do. And it is a lock with a key.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rostr02
Don't need to drill to install the drilling is an extra step I did not do. Great product bolts in with factory seat bolts. The third bolt would bolt it to the jeep floor. Like i said I did not do. And it is a lock with a key.
will not work on 2 dr jk's with gold and tumble front seats. 4 door only.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EHarris
Just a quick question on this.... Is the 3rd bolt (needs to be drilled) necessary for this product? I'm thinking I can do this installation myself since it's only two bolts but if anyone has some installation advice on this product I would greatly appreciate it. Also, does this lock with a key or a combination? I think I have seen both for some reason.
Same as Rostr, I did not drill for third bolt. I would absolutely recommend installing yourself. Would be crazy to pay someone. With just the two bolts, the drawer basically hangs and mine rattled some- especially when something was in it. I threw a tool box drawer liner in there, which helped, but then I cut a piece of pipe insulation, stuffed it under the back end and the rattle completely disappeared.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Ok great I have a 4 door 2008. So the 3rd bolt might not be so much for security but more for stoping a rattle?

When the seat bolts come out should I put locktite on the threads when going back in?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

The 3rd bolt is for added security because it can't be removed with the drawer closed. The seat bolts can. That being said I didn't use it and I'm fairly confident that it is secure enough. If a theif wants what's in there enough to sit there taking bolts out then he can have it.

It comes with a key lock. You can buy a combination lock.

The bolts have loctight from the factory so adding a little won't hurt.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have one under both front seats. One is keyed, but bought a combo lock for the other just for convenience. Didn't bother with the 3rd bolts. No rattles, but I do have carpet so maybe that's a factor?

As noted above, the seat bolts have a bit of locktite on them from the factory. Several people have posted complaints about difficult removal, a breaker bar comes in handy.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The whole "do it right" concept.....

The 3rd (and ONLY) secure bolt adds all of 10mins total to the install...maybe. As mentioned, it's the only one that cannot be removed unless you have access to inside the box. In other words, it's the ONLY security measure in place to keep the box from getting stolen with nothing more than a wrench or socket/ratchet. Battery powered ratchet: < 2 minutes, tops. If you keep stuff in there unimportant enough that you don't care if you reward a thief with 3 nefarious minutes, then why have it anyway?

If you're keeping a firearm in there and don't want to spend the little extra measure it may take to keep your firearm out of evil hands, you should reconsider whether you should even be carrying at all. Add a gigantic "stupid factor" if that's the case and you're rolling with a soft top or none at all.

Last edited by fredrok; 05-28-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fredrok
The whole "do it right" concept..... The 3rd (and ONLY) secure bolt adds all of 10mins total to the install...maybe. As mentioned, it's the only one that cannot be removed unless you have access to inside the box. In other words, it's the ONLY security measure in place to keep the box from getting stolen with nothing more than a wrench or socket/ratchet. Battery powered ratchet: < 2 minutes, tops. If you keep stuff in there unimportant enough that you don't care if you reward a thief with 3 nefarious minutes, then why have it anyway? If you're keeping a firearm in there and don't want to spend the little extra measure it may take to keep your firearm out of evil hands, you should reconsider whether you should even be carrying at all. Add a gigantic "stupid factor" if that's the case and you're rolling with a soft top or none at all.

Good advise but it is not for a firearm. I plan on using it for wallet, cell phone and passport along with other valuables when I am surfing. Park the jeep, throw everything in there and just have my surf key in my wetsuit. I guess drilling a hole in the floor isn't exactly difficult but it would suck if i did it in the wrong spot lol.

I thinking the method would be to install it lose with the seat bolts, mark where the hole should go, take everything back out, carefully drill out with twist bit, and bolt everything back in place. Maybe use some silicone around the bolt hole and some rattle can to prevent any corrosion or rust.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I have one under both front seats. One is keyed, but bought a combo lock for the other just for convenience. Didn't bother with the 3rd bolts. No rattles, but I do have carpet so maybe that's a factor? As noted above, the seat bolts have a bit of locktite on them from the factory. Several people have posted complaints about difficult removal, a breaker bar comes in handy.
Is the combo lock less secure than the key lock?

Quick Reply: Tuffy conceal and carry security drawer