Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuffy conceal and carry security drawer

Old 05-28-2016, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Good advise but it is not for a firearm. I plan on using it for wallet, cell phone and passport along with other valuables when I am surfing. Park the jeep, throw everything in there and just have my surf key in my wetsuit. I guess drilling a hole in the floor isn't exactly difficult but it would suck if i did it in the wrong spot lol.

I thinking the method would be to install it lose with the seat bolts, mark where the hole should go, take everything back out, carefully drill out with twist bit, and bolt everything back in place. Maybe use some silicone around the bolt hole and some rattle can to prevent any corrosion or rust.
It was a general comment to the subject but would still be a shitty day for you! IIRC, I just removed the entire seat; 2 extra bolts and a plug. Makes it so much easier to reroute your wiring as well (if necessary).
Old 05-28-2016, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drawer fits both JK and JKU. I have it in my 2010 2dr. It works great. When I installed it, I only used the 2 front bolts and the carpet kept the back end from rattling. In the process of pulling the carpet and bed lining, I added the rear bolt.

I'm pretty sure that a thief could quickly defeat the small bolt at the back. It's really just to keep the drawer from rattling.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Is the combo lock less secure than the key lock?
If you are asking about the quality of the locks, they both seem decent. Security of key vs. combo? The combo is only 3 numbers, how long would it take someone to spin them enough times to guess the combo?

Then again, how long would the key lock last against someone who knows how to pick locks? Or how long would it take to pull the seat bolts, find out that you can't pick up the box, and crawl underneath to cut off the 3rd bolt? Or just load the jeep onto a flatbed?

I guess the way I look at it is that these drawers are not a replacement for a safe deposit box at my bank. It is a security drawer IN my jeep, and my jeep can be stolen...
Old 05-28-2016, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
The drawer fits both JK and JKU. I have it in my 2010 2dr. It works great. When I installed it, I only used the 2 front bolts and the carpet kept the back end from rattling. In the process of pulling the carpet and bed lining, I added the rear bolt.

I'm pretty sure that a thief could quickly defeat the small bolt at the back. It's really just to keep the drawer from rattling.
Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you are asking about the quality of the locks, they both seem decent. Security of key vs. combo? The combo is only 3 numbers, how long would it take someone to spin them enough times to guess the combo?

Then again, how long would the key lock last against someone who knows how to pick locks? Or how long would it take to pull the seat bolts, find out that you can't pick up the box, and crawl underneath to cut off the 3rd bolt? Or just load the jeep onto a flatbed?

I guess the way I look at it is that these drawers are not a replacement for a safe deposit box at my bank. It is a security drawer IN my jeep, and my jeep can be stolen...
I can't argue any of these points but why make it easy, especially in consideration of firearms? To your point, it's a Jeep, easily broken into. You can get to the 3rd bolt nut underneath but not without some time-consuming finagling (it's above a cross brace) but why not do all you can, especially when it takes just a few extra minutes to make shit more difficult?

Hell, why lock your doors then?

"OPTIONAL SECURITY STEP
WARNING! - Make sure that there is nothing under the vehicle that will be damaged by the drill bit when
drilling. The exhaust is located in that area, be cautious not to touch it when hot.
For additional security remove the drawer from the enclosure (See note above). Mark the spot in the
vehicle floor under the hole in the bottom of the drawer enclosure and drill a 3/8” hole. Fasten using the
included bolt #8.2, washer #8.3 and Nut #8.1. It is recommended to use silicone sealant on any drilled "

Last edited by fredrok; 05-28-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend getting the combination lock for your purposes (wallet & keys) while surfing. I use the key-lock myself so that I can access the drawer while sitting in the seat. I carry the security drawer key on a quick disconnect ring. The combination lock is convenient - but it can be difficult to see the numbers and open quickly. 2-cents. It's a great product.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by battleborn_jk
With just the two bolts, the drawer basically hangs and mine rattled some- especially when something was in it. I threw a tool box drawer liner in there, which helped, but then I cut a piece of pipe insulation, stuffed it under the back end and the rattle completely disappeared.
This times 1,000. I installed the drawer (without the 3rd bolt) along with several other after market upgrades all at the same time. I started hearing squeaking in the front of the jeep which i thought were the A-pillar cube lights and thunking at the rear of the jeep which i attributed to the new exhaust and then the tire carrier. It turns out after hours and hours of incorrect diagnosis and attempts to remedy them that it was in fact the stupid security drawer under the seat. Because of the placement under the seat it sounded like the "sounds" were coming from everywhere except under my seat..... I ended up putting a hockey puck under my drawer to eliminate the various noises....
Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments. I picked one up today and will install next weekend. I'll update the thread when I do the install. I plan on also ordering the combination lock. It appears that this is not a seperate unit but rather an add on feature to buy separately? Is this correct?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, it is a separate item. Part #082, sells for $19 on Tuffy's website. You should see a link to it at the bottom of the page about the security drawer.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Best of both worlds. Thanks so much. I never intended this to be any type of super bank vault. Just needed that extra theft deterrent.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredrok
The whole "do it right" concept.....

The 3rd (and ONLY) secure bolt adds all of 10mins total to the install...maybe. As mentioned, it's the only one that cannot be removed unless you have access to inside the box. In other words, it's the ONLY security measure in place to keep the box from getting stolen with nothing more than a wrench or socket/ratchet. Battery powered ratchet: < 2 minutes, tops. If you keep stuff in there unimportant enough that you don't care if you reward a thief with 3 nefarious minutes, then why have it anyway?

If you're keeping a firearm in there and don't want to spend the little extra measure it may take to keep your firearm out of evil hands, you should reconsider whether you should even be carrying at all. Add a gigantic "stupid factor" if that's the case and you're rolling with a soft top or none at all.
fredrok, I know it is legal in CO and all, but you really should reduce your weed intake. It seems to be affecting your ability to reason. A person who has locked a firearm in their closed vehicle is not responsible for, or "stupid", if a thief breaks into the vehicle and steals things that are not theirs.

Your argument is classic in the Gun Control talking points. The arguments go like this....
"it is common sense to lock your gun up to make it safe that others wont steal it".
"you should never need a clip that has more than 10 rounds".
"You must store the ammunition in a different location from the weapon".
"Guns kill people".
"Anyone buying a gun should wait 30 days".
"No real hunter would ever need an AR15".

In the mean time, all of us law abiding citizens are at the mercy of thieves and miscreants with no way to defend ourselves. Where you take away citizens basic rights, it benefits only those who have no problem with breaking the laws. Just look at DC, Baltimore and Chicago to see how well those "common sense" laws work.

Personally I carry my firearms with me because it is no use to me locked in the vehicle. If every other Jeeper did the same, none of us would have to lock our Jeep. Nor would we have to spend our hard earned money to achieve some super level of responsibility because we only want to be able to defend ourselves. Then the world would be a much safer place.

Last edited by maxspongebob; 05-31-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuffy conceal and carry security drawer