Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuffy JK Conceal Carry Security Drawer Question

Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuffy JK Conceal Carry Security Drawer Question

For those of you that have one of these, how does the drawer latching mechanism work? Their site says, "the drawer must remain locked while operating the vehicle". Does this mean that the drawer could/would slide open while you're driving if it's not locked?

I'd like to use this drawer as a place to carry my pistol, but many times I wouldn't want to fumble with the key to open it. If that's the case, then I guess I could just leave the key in it and hope I wouldn't accidentally break it off with my feet. :-/
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the bestop version of this. Don't know if there's much of a difference. I usually leave the key in it while driving because that where I carry my pistols. I can see where it could get broke off for sure. Leaving it unlocked isn't bad but I usually use the key to pull it open. Otherwise I can't open it. No handle or anything to pull on. I may add some kind of pull tie to pull it open when unlocked. To me this is the best 50 bucks I could have ever spent. Love it.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the tuffy and you definitely want to keep it locked while driving or rest your left foot against it, I've been hit in the ankles when driving when I forgot to lock mine. I carry a pocket pistol so it stays on me while I drive. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with keeping the key in the lock while driving either.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pistol in drawer, not much use. I have my Glock on my right hip, by the seat belt latch, so if I need it it's right there. When I need to leave the pistol in the Jeep, I lock it up.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I keep my lcr on my hip too while driving, would only use this box if I needed to leave the gun in the jeep
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattbarton15
I keep my lcr on my hip too while driving, would only use this box if I needed to leave the gun in the jeep
Right on... I'm pretty sure the TUFFY drawer lock mechanism is the same as on the replacement center console. The drawer however, is on rails so that it slides under the seat. So yes, if it is not locked, it might be bumping into your ankles if not locked when you hit the brakes.

This drawer is for leaving the weapon in the vehicle.

When driving, your weapon should be in the same spot that you carry it. I carry at the 1-2 oclock (appendix) carry. If I need the weapon, instinct is going to send my hand looking for my weapon there--- If I NEED the weapon (ie getting carjacked in line at Whataburger) I have no time to go digging for it in a drawer under my seat. It better be in my pantelonas.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Tuffy drawer does slide open under braking sometimes; when unlocked and empty.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

They have an option for a combo lock on the tuffy that i opted for. I could latch it closed yet unlocked so that with a twist of the knob it is open (my personal habit is to always lock it, that way I dont forget to secure it when it matters). A flip of the tumblers and it is secure. No key to break or lose. I wouldnt leave the key in the lock as I would forget to pull it. A security box witht the key left in it is not very secure.

v/r
VT
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the tuffy drawer with the combo lock knob!

Its awesome! I can keep the tumblers in the open code position and just twist knob for quick unlock or access. Then i just spin the dials when leaving vehicle. It works great!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

A gun in the drawer is useless. It should only be used for storage/theft deterrent.

Quick Reply: Tuffy JK Conceal Carry Security Drawer Question