Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuffy Security Console Insert

Old 12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tulene
hey guys, i ordered one from quadratec last week, i'll take some pics and give some impressions after install. i also ordered some corbeau black leather seats so it should all come together nicely. thanks!
Don't forget to post some pics of that new interior.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a copy of a letter I fired off to Tuffy.
If you guys ever visit the www.jk-forum.com website, you will find there are a LOT of people, myself included, who would just love to stuff one of your new security boxes between the front seats, but are sorely disappointed that you only make it in black. The Jeep doesn't even come with black as an interior color!! You need to change the colors to Khaki, and grey, and you will sell a LOT more boxes, I am waiting as well. The reason we don't want black, is because us Jeeper's are a particular crowd. We buy our Jeeps because we like to take our tops off. That requires a security box such as yours. But when you take a black box, and bolt it up front (where everybody looks), it kinda stands out, saying, "Look at me!! I have precious stuff locked inside of me, try and break into me if you can!!" If you matched the interior colors, your boxes would be more subtle, and not so obvious, THEN I would buy one. I shouldn't have to buy your product only to have it stripped, powdercoated Khaki, and re-upholstered in khaki just to mount it in my JK. Can you do us Jeeper's a favor, and match our Jeeps? We'd be eternally grateful. If you want more opinions, please feel free to visit the forum, and ask as many questions as you like, you'll find we're all of the same mindset. We love to modify our Jeeps, we love your product, but we won't buy it until you make it less obvious!

Respectfully,
Tom Bunnow, MD
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to think that they will be offering grey and khaki shortly; they have done so with all their other console lockers from what I gather on their website. I can understand why they would have wanted to show black at SEMA, specifically because it does stand out.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcollier
I have to think that they will be offering grey and khaki shortly; they have done so with all their other console lockers from what I gather on their website. I can understand why they would have wanted to show black at SEMA, specifically because it does stand out.
Maybe they made it in black so it would stand out at the show?

But then, if that was the idea, they shoulda made it fluorescent pink.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, hey, hey... don't give them any idea's... I can just see it now a JK with flourescent pink boxes inside. Oh the ammo that would provide.

Ron
Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good news guys, I just got a response from Tuffy which was as follows:

[Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the input regarding matching interior colors for the new JK’s! We have taken into consideration the fact that there are going to be new colors to match and have already sent interior samples to our Powdercoating supplier so they can mix up a batch that is a perfect match. The only trouble is that it does take some time and by the time we get the first production run off our line, (hopefully next month) a khaki or grey powdercoat probably still won’t be ready for us to use. When we made the prototype console insert you see in the SEMA photos, we didn’t know what interior our JK would be, so black was used since it had the best contrast.

Eventually we WILL offer matching colors on the JK consoles and glove boxes when they come out. It just takes a bit of time to get things ramped up! In the meantime, should anyone have any other suggestions as far as product ideas or improvements, please let us know! We’re always looking! Tuffy plans to offer the overhead consoles, door lockers, glove box, and rear storage as well.

Thanks,

Eric Kuhlman
Tuffy Security Products
Tom
Bryson City, NC

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-19-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Way to go Tom!!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

This may sound stupid but doesn't the center console already lock? Is it becasue the factory lock is just to flimsy?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cpd806
This may sound stupid but doesn't the center console already lock? Is it becasue the factory lock is just to flimsy?
Yes, plastic catch and box vs steel catch and box

By the way, aren't all the consoles gray, regardless of khaki or slate gray interior? They should be able to match it up with only one color. I'll have to check mine????
Old 12-20-2006, 06:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
By the way, aren't all the consoles gray, regardless of khaki or slate gray interior? They should be able to match it up with only one color. I'll have to check mine????
They all have the same gray color on top but I believe the sides of it are either gray or khaki to match the interior.

Quick Reply: Tuffy Security Console Insert