Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

turning off esp

Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troy_boy
Im going to go out on a limb here......If you reach under and snip off the wires to one of the wheels to the ESP.....the computer will sence a problem in the ESP and disable its self completely. The light esp/bas will come on but totally disabled! Try it and let us know..... Mine did it when my stering wheel was off 1/3 of a turn....no ESP at all till I recentered the wheel....It sences a malfunction in the ESP and turns its self off....No kiddin... Troy.....

If that was the case could just gounding out the wire like the lockers mod to turn it off. I'm not an electronic person just wondering. Any one have thoughts.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

The esp off works on all models but it only works in 4hi when you push and hold the button for five second and it completely disables in 4low. When it's disabled in 4HI it will come back on when speeds over 40 mph are reached. I have been struggling with that since I do alot of high speed desert running. But at this time there is no effective full proof way of shutting off esp in 2HI. I don't know what other effects pulling the fuse has on the rest of the system since every thing is intertwined in the PCM but it's worth looking at. Damn ESP almost put me into a guard rail the other day.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default removing fuses

me when i go muddin i remove the ESP fuse and i have no ESP and ABS during my trail

when you put the fuse you have to roll 5 to 10 sec and the lights turn off
Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepjk2007
me when i go muddin i remove the ESP fuse and i have no ESP and ABS during my trail

when you put the fuse you have to roll 5 to 10 sec and the lights turn off
Which fuse we talking about? I'd love to kill all the esp, abs, etc.. while in 4hi or 4lo, since i have a automatic front locker, i'm scared that the traction control will cause some damage somehow, like it will try to stop a wheel that the locker doesn't want to stop...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

I thought the same thing, and metnioned it a while back, about pulling the fuse and that should shut it off...I havent tried it yet, so its interesting to know it works. What fuse is it...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
Which fuse we talking about? I'd love to kill all the esp, abs, etc.. while in 4hi or 4lo, since i have a automatic front locker, i'm scared that the traction control will cause some damage somehow, like it will try to stop a wheel that the locker doesn't want to stop...
And it will cause damage. My 07 ruby with 1200 miles is at the dealer right now getting a front axle replaced. Broke the ujoint flange on the left side. This better be a warranty claim.

Jeeps are ment to go off road right?? What does the little pendent on the front really mean. This is the second one in 2 months that have failed. The first one was totaled by the insurance for getting wet and now this one. Still wished I had my 72 back. Parts were cheaper and it held up, Where is quality control.

Maybe I find an old one to play with and keep the new one nice and pretty for photo ops.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you just keep the fuse pulled permanently with no problems?!

Nate
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

CAN WE JUST UN PLUG IT FROM THE where it connects to the wheel???
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so anyone gonna answer slick i am as interested as he???
Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I think a making a true on/off toggle switch would be best.

Quick Reply: turning off esp