Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

turning off esp

Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turning off esp

First let me thank Bofer84's for the locker mod directions. 2nd easest mod completed. What a difference. Only change I made was to splice in farther the down the harness to hide under the battery box and use pin connectors on the ground. Hopefully this way a stealerships will really have to look to see the mod. I have the lifetime power train and want it to keep it.

Only real question is there a way to turn off the esp long term? When using the lockers in high you have to hit the switch and then hold it for 5 seconds to turn it off. When you go to low the esp stays off but from low to high or restarting after a stall it defaults to normal (all on). Is there a way to add a toggle to the esp circuit that turn will it off until you want it turned back on with out lossing other fuctions like antilock brakes? With ESP on the ESP will fight the lockers to stop wheel spin. Sometimes you just need to spin to move and a bogging motor can cause it stall. Not a good thing when leaving a creek bed up a incline on mud.

Last edited by roddogg; 09-13-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

So gholding it for 5 seconds turns it off totally?!

Thanks,

Nate
Old 09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Yes until you shift from 4 hi to 4 lo or back and of course th 2hi. With the locker mod I would like to turn it off
Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

I didnt think you could turn the ESP off totally, only in 4low could you do this. In 4hi there is a partial off, but not a total off i thought
Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

what would happen if we just unplug it???? if we just unplug the wire going into the back of the hub i belive??
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has a safe mode. I believe it will completely shut down the vehicle.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

idk i resently just changed my axle shaft and when i did it kinda got pulled out and bent! :( i got it back in but now my abs light is on and my esp light is still always on.... with that said the jeep drivers great no diffrense at all...
Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bofer84
I didnt think you could turn the ESP off totally, only in 4low could you do this. In 4hi there is a partial off, but not a total off i thought
on my Ruby when you are In 4 hi and you hold the esp botton for just over 5 seconds the odometer display will change from milage to esp off as shown by this photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(34).jpg
Views:	578
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	3280

I want to turn it off no mater what I do. so that the lockers don't fight the esp when wheels spin.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by roddogg
on my Ruby when you are In 4 hi and you hold the esp botton for just over 5 seconds the odometer display will change from milage to esp off as shown by this photo.

Attachment 3280

I want to turn it off no mater what I do. so that the lockers don't fight the esp when wheels spin.
IS THIS A RUBI THING?? MINE WILL NOT DO THIS
Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im going to go out on a limb here......If you reach under and snip off the wires to one of the wheels to the ESP.....the computer will sence a problem in the ESP and disable its self completely. The light esp/bas will come on but totally disabled! Try it and let us know..... Mine did it when my stering wheel was off 1/3 of a turn....no ESP at all till I recentered the wheel....It sences a malfunction in the ESP and turns its self off....No kiddin... Troy.....

Quick Reply: turning off esp