Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

turning off esp

Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did it work
Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

dont hold out man... safe a life did it work lol
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

What??? No answers!! C'mon man!! We're dying out here!!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default haven't tried yet still waiting for the axle repair

Been 2 weeks and the parts to fix my axle is still not in. Should work though. tried it on my wifes charger ( not switch just put in a splice. Unplugged the splice and what a difference 350 loose horses make. Plugged it back together when wife heard me peeling black marks. Disconnected black marks connected no black marks. Should be similar withthe jeep. Before you comment I'm not talking about peeling tires but allowing the motor to turn the axle even though the wheels are spinning in mud. With lockers hooked up and the esp on spinning one tire would slow the motor down almost bogging it so that you would not move.

I will make the mod as soon as the axle is repaired. I wished they would just install the new $1400 complete axle and get it over with instead of making me wait. They didn't even call me to tell me that not all teh parts are in. I had to call them to find out. This was my weekend to work on my jeep, Bumper mod with winch, grill guard (the chicken wire has to go). Banks exhaust, Mopar metal skid, 4 inch long arm. Wheels and tire are being mounted today. front end shop appointment on Monday. Wife went out of town and left me in charge of the check book. now everything will be in the garage when she get back. Shit That reminds me I have to hide everything.

Last edited by roddogg; 09-28-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting stuff, waiting for results...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Disable the ESP

I have an X Unlimited with a 6 inch and 35s. I travel down and back up a very windy canyon road everyday and around every turn the ESP actives. It doesn't bother on the down hills, only the uphills when it slows me down and causes me to downshift. So I did some reaseach on the charger sites and here's the result.

P.S., This is my first post. This forum rocks...

1. Locate the removable panel under the steering wheel and remove it.
2. Find the wire bundle to the right of the gas pedal.
3. Use a razor blade and split the electrical tape to free the wire bundle.
4. Find the VIOLET (more of a light purple) wire with the LIGHT BLUE stripe. There are seveal close matches, so if you are color blind...well, you know.
5. Cut that wire.
6. Now turn on the ignition to ensure you cut the right one. The ESP/BAS warning light will be on with the ABS and the swerving car logo.
7. After confirming this, add a length of wire to each end of the cut wire so you can work with it.
8. Drill a hole where ever you want the on/off switch. You can also use a momentary switch (I'll explain later).
9. Run the wire to the switch, connect the switch to the wires and button it all up.

Now, when you are driving and you want to turn off the ESP you can reach down and turn it off at the flip of a switch. If you used a momentary switch, just push the button and it will turn off.

The thing is...once you disable the ESP using the Violet/Lt Blue wire, it disables the ABS too, as far as I am aware.

If you flip the switch and turn it immediately on again, the ESP and ABS will not just turn back on. If you push the ESP button on the dash after this, the logo will turn off, but I do not think the ESP actually turns back on, nor does the ABS turn back on.

So...you can disable the ESP, but you lose the ABS until the Jeep is turned off and on again and the computer resets.

Good luck. Be smart. Be safe. I hope this helps, or at least gives some insight to the "ESP problem".

Last edited by SW4006; 09-30-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was perhaps the best first post, EVER
Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I did it!

Well I ended up splicing into the wire where sw4006 said to, right next to the gas pedal. From there I ran a wire up to the blank panel under the stack and put in 3 switches, one for this mod the other 2 for the locker mod. I used the fighter jet style switches with the covers over them.For this one though you will need to reverse the lockout cover so the switch is always on as opposed to always off. So after starting and you hit the switch the bas/esp lights on the dash will light. I took it out on a gravel road in 2 wheel drive and hit the switch. From a dead start standing on it you can really spin the tires and get sideways. I then shut it off to reset the switch and restarted in normal mode, if I gas on it that way the esp kicks in right away and kills the power. This is gonna be great for me because we travel on alot of sandy roads in 2 wheel drive and the esp sucks there.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, Im not good with crap like this, but man if someone was close enough some $$, beer, and pizza would be paid!

Every off ramp it does it. I have 37's, adj, track bars, centered steering wheel, perfect alignment, and soon to be lower control arms.... just sucks!

Willing to let someone in Ga. area that knows what they are doing experiment with my JK.

Nate

Quick Reply: turning off esp