Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail

Old 07-03-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail

So I was on Daniel Trail this weekend and Right after the "GateKeeper" which I crawled up no problems on the first try. There is a section with small ledges or rocks right after.

Well I got the Jeep in a bad spot and tried to "Bump it over" and the carrier snapped all the spot welds clean off the housing and rotated it to the point where the driveshaft was at a really bad angle. The Jeep was able to Limp to the top.(I took the left side this time).

We tried some redneck fixes like trying to rotate it back with a winch and strapping it to a stump and yanking it down with a bump. Needless to say I had to Limp it back down the mountain to our camp where we had a "Rollback" flat bed truck that my buddy had trailed his rig up on. We even tried the 20K winch and a snatch block off the flatbed. The housing would not budge.

Crazy part was it drove fine no noises from the razippa joint climbing the rest of the way to the top. But to be on the safe side this was the end of wheeling for "Annie" <--My Jeep) for the rest of the time.

So was it bad spot welds? I figured the Ring and pinion or the shafts would have broke before the housing. The tubes and all the mounts are perfect. I mean dam I know Eaton and G2 make some badass stuff but this is crazy.

Anyone seen this before? None of us had. Someone said the spot welds might haven weakened over time since I wheel it and thats its main use. We had to rent a car to get back home. Now my wife is all about me getting a F250 and a Trailer.. So now it will be a Trailer queen and a Garage Queen.

I got my Fabricator Kevin taking it back to his shop and fixing it. He was the one with the flat bed truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TriPod.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	651450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Limping.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	651451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	651453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Down.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	651454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatbed.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	651515  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 07-04-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Rotated Pictures
Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen it happen. It was on a very vertical climb with a lot of throttle.

The solution was to replace it with a 14 bolt.

I second the tow rig idea, it's so nice knowing that whatever trouble you get into, you can make it to work on monday!
Old 07-03-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, but you'll see spun tubes posted every now and then.

Happened to my rear axle a few years back. Good timing for me, since it was already ripped apart for new gears when the shop owner pointed it out. Just had them weld it up and away I went. Beats finding out on the trail like you did.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013... I'd take it to the dealer and see if they'll fix it under warranty. It shouldn't twist... it is trail rated. Leith Jeep on Capital Blvd in Raleigh is lift friendly. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's certainly not the first instance where the plug welds failed to hold. There was a guy on another forum whose tubes let loose on the interstate.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Dang that would suck. Surprised it could not be spun back the way chained it.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me your 44 did that but your Dana 30 is still intact???
Love it.
That sucks buddy, shouldn't be too hard of a fix though. Just still out the spot welds, align it back up, weld the spots, and weld the tubes to the center section. Should be good to go.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Wait a minute, you mean to tell me your 44 did that but your Dana 30 is still intact???
Love it.
That sucks buddy, shouldn't be too hard of a fix though. Just still out the spot welds, align it back up, weld the spots, and weld the tubes to the center section. Should be good to go.
I wonder about welding the tubes to the pumpkin but figured there was a reason yiu don't see it. Seems like some good insurance.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good part is the locker still works and when we took the cover off everything looks good.

So he gave me a couple Options. Tell me what you would do.

1. We can try to heat it up and twist it back.

2. We can cut all the brackets off and weld them back on and weld the tubes.

3. Find a Take off D44 gut it and put my G2 shafts/ G2 R&P and Eaton carrier back in and call it a day.

Problems with options

1. Heating it up and trying to twist it back could bend my tubes and shafts causing more damage and money.

2. Cutting the track bar, spring mounts and LCA/Shock mounts. Would leave my axle breather tube on the side instead of up and down and move the calipers 2" up.

3. Do I really need to replace it since it was just the welds that failed and no other damage? Seems like a waste to me.

Either way the rear axle is going to be dropped what's your input?

Other factor is I'm trying not to break the bank if I had the money I would throw a 1 ton and call it a day. Maybe in a couple years I can do that but it's not in the cards right now.

I know you got to pay to play. But it still sucks.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi

Have you priced a housing from somewhere like overstock mopar etc
Might come out pretty close to what labor will cost and you know it will be straight

Last edited by jadmt; 07-03-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail