Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this U-joint starting to go bad?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this U-joint starting to go bad?

It looks like some grease is coming out of the plastic seal. If it is going bad what is the best replacement. I would like to stick with just the u-joint and not the entire drive shaft as x-mas is just a few week away. It has 3 inch lift so I know the dealer won't help me out on this.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that it looks fairly intact. Take that with a grain of salt though, most of the bad ones that I've seen are pretty obviously bad. ie no grease, rusted needles, broken, sheared, or melted. Yes I melted one once.

The good news is that u-joints are really easy to replace, and the aftermarket ones are usually better then the factory ones anyway. It will take about two hours of your time if you've never done one before and about 1/2 hour if you have.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

XJHammer Thanks for replying, I thought that they are sealed units and didn't know if this was normal ( I don't think so) but I have never had one fail. When I saw it I figured that I may have caught it at the beginning. Anyone else????
Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was it making any noise? How did you know to check it?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was under the Jeep to ziptie something and looked up. I guess I will just keep an eye on it.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Rotate the shaft by hand and feel for play in the u-joint. If there is any play, replace it. IE: you can turn the shaft a bit without the other side of the yoke rotating. Basically there are needle bearings in there, if any are broken, or worn badly, it will allow for some slop. Check for that.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default U joint

All things mechanical are wearing out just as soon as u put it in service. A little seepage of grease at the seal does not constitute reason for concern in my opinion. If U use the JEEP as intended, (off road) I'd upgrade to ujoints with a gease fitting after 10 - 20 thousand miles. grease em often and forget em if they are really wearing out they will start to loosen up. check for side play. end play won't tell ya nuttin. nuff said?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Is this U-joint starting to go bad?