Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Underpower jeep- need advice

Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know your pain, my Jeep is real sluggish these days with after market front and rear bumpers and well as rock sliders. Gearing will get you far better performance than superchips does.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Did gears first ( 4.88 with 35s ) it helped a lot .Then I went with a flashpaq and now its way better than stock ever was .
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by elmolle
... I think my jeep is 4.10 ....
First, you should find out for sure if it is or isn't. Easiest way is to jack up the Jeep and count driveshaft revolutions as you rotate the tire one time.

Second, with an auto and 33s, 4.88 gears will make a very nice boost in seat-of-the-pants performance.

Third, while I don't disagree with the poster who commented that top end power will never be great with this engine, you will see a very definite boost in top end performance from a regear. This is for two reasons:

1) The simple mechanical advantage of the regear. Going from 4.10s to 4.88s gives a 19% bump in torque. That will be experienced at all RPMs.

2) Because of the regear, at any given speed on the highway you will be running at higher RPMs than before the regear. If you take a gander at the 3.8L torque/HP curve (kandn.com/dynocharts/57-1553_dyno.pdf), you will note that at higher rev's you will have more torque and HP to tap. For a six speed (because I have those charts/calcluations at hand), the difference between 4.10s and 4.88s at 70 MPH is 80% improvement in HP and a 55% improvement in torque. And, that's even greater than you may realize because you've already paid the penalty for friction in the drivetrain--almost all of this HP/torque increase will make it to the wheels.

I had my Jeep (six speed) regeared from 4.10s and 33s to 4.88s and 35s. The butt-factor with this change made driving my Jeep a lot more fun. I just returned from a drive out to San Diego and its performance was dramatically better. Could I use more? Sure. But, I didn't have to resort to third gear on the Interstate, and if I left it on cruise in sixth gear while going up a typical hill, I usually lost no more than about 5-6 MPH (there were a couple very windy days that were a bit worse). Before, I'd have been down-shifting at least once, and maybe even twice. And remember: This not only included a regear, but moving from 33s to 35s.

Do it, you won't regret it. Here in the lower (upper?) 48 the cost is about $1K--add a couple hundred for a full rebuild kit with new bearings. It was worth every penny.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-21-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racin444
Not to rain on your parade here but a programmer adds 10HP tops and the supercharger adds about 70HP if that. As for the headers I dont think they add 50HP cause then no one would pay $5K to gain 70HP with a supercharger.

As for the OP these engines suck so the best mod is the strip weight mod. Once my spare and rear seat came out it was like I had a new engine in my Jeep. You know you feel it already when the doors are off.

whao - HOLD the train

We add 120 rear wheel HP and 90ft/lbs of torque - OTHER manufactures add much less than us...

RIPPTECH
Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Re-Gear!, I'm doing mine as soon as i get my tax return and i don't have half that weight your carrying. I currently run a superchip but sometimes i get some pinging and to be quite honest messing with the timing just isn't enough for me and after research and talking to people who know their sh*t i'm taking the plunge and going for 5.13's...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default re-gear

I run a heavy JKU, see profile, I regeared from 4:10's to 4:88's and got the power and MPG back and it became fun to drive again. I am now saving for a hemi swap planned for next winter.

Quick Reply: Underpower jeep- need advice