Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Waterproof Winch?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproof Winch?

I just added the Body Armor front bumper and am in the market for a winch. I live in Ohio and will mostly be using my JK for snow and bad rainy weather. I just got my skid plate from 4wdHardware and noticed a "Waterproof Winch" on the back cover of their Spring 2011 catalog.

I wash both of my jeeps constantly and will be using the JK a lot in the winter. (SRT8 SUCKS in snow) Are the "regular" winches and aircraft cable prone to rust or is the "waterproof" one a waste of money? I won't be using the winch a lot but I want one that will last a long time without rusting out.

I'm very new to the JK's and would appreciate any advice you can give me. Also, what winch would you suggest? I'd like to stay around $500 or so. Thank you
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Did you have to drill any extra holes for the skid plate.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badasjp
Did you have to drill any extra holes for the skid plate.
Nope, it bolted right into the existing holes. It looks great and was a good deal. I just mailed in the $45 rebate on the bumper. Let me know if you wanna see a pic of it installed.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well as my smittybilt is laying in a pile on the floor, I personally can't recommend them.
I do have a Recon 10.5k "waterproof" winch with synthetic line that is supposed to be delivered today. It was in the same price range as the one you mentioned.
You also might check out northridge4x4 on this forum, I think they have a sale on warns right now
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed a rugged ridge 8500lb winch about 6 months ago. It recessed in my bumper but uncovered. I have driven through piles of snow, rain, and sunk the jeep headlight deep in muddy water. It hasn't given me a problem yet. And I only spent about $350 with shippping via Quadratec....
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I was definitely leaning toward the synthetic rope too. I just don't want to buy one and have it rust out in a few years when i can get a "waterproof" one for $400 or $500. Like i mentioned, i'm not planning on using it all the time but it's definitely going to get wet pretty often.

I may sell the two door model I have now and go with a four door once i get the SRT paid off so I want to get a winch that can handle the extra weight of the 4 door plus toys.

I hate buying something, then regretting down the road that I didn't get the larger or more expensive model.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhaines
Well as my smittybilt is laying in a pile on the floor, I personally can't recommend them.
I do have a Recon 10.5k "waterproof" winch with synthetic line that is supposed to be delivered today. It was in the same price range as the one you mentioned.
You also might check out northridge4x4 on this forum, I think they have a sale on warns right now
Did your smittybilt break or is it a pain in the a$$ to put together? You kinda scared me now cuz I was leanin toward the X20. Hard to beat a 10,000lb waterproof for only $499.99.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

I run a Warn 9.5ti that is waterproof. I know what you mean about water on the winch constantly. I purchased a Warn neoprene cover that works great. I take it off in the summer often so you do not build up condensation, but the winch will not be hurt, and I run synthetic cable.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
I run a Warn 9.5ti that is waterproof. I know what you mean about water on the winch constantly. I purchased a Warn neoprene cover that works great. I take it off in the summer often so you do not build up condensation, but the winch will not be hurt, and I run synthetic cable.
I have the 9.5ti best winch i have ever used.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

I had a 8k Ramsey on the front of my CJ7 for 15 years out in the elements, under water at times, mud, snow, salt, etc... Nothing on the winch ever rusted, corroded or looked disparaging. The jeep on the other hand...
I'm not supporting one brand or the other, but if the winches from 15 years ago still look good today, I wouldn't think today's winches would look bad 15 years from now.

Quick Reply: Waterproof Winch?