Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Uneven Tire Wear - Problem?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven Tire Wear - Problem?

I have 4,500 miles on my JK and just rotated the tires for the first time since new. The outer tread blocks on the front tires have uneven wear that you might call choppy -- you can run your hand over the tread in one directly and it feels OK, and in the other direction you can feel the front edge raised on each tread block. I've done some research and think this is due to the toe adjustment and resulting scrubbing that occurs.

My question is, is this normal? Should I just rotate the tires more often? I want to start looking for larger tires soon but don't want to spend the money if I have a problem that is left unchecked. I have a 2.5" RC budget boost, and stock control arms and track bar. I adjusted the drag link to straighten the steering wheel when I installed the lift, and put a Teraflex track bar relocation bracket on the rear.

The Jeep tracks nice and straight and handles well, but I've heard others who indicated uneven tire wear occured after installing a BB. Not sure how that would happen, as I believe only the caster would change. Still, it has me wondering if I should invest in a more complete suspension before spending the cash on tires.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Ron
Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

More than likely it is too much toe in. I have had several people tell me that the JK's are set from the factory at the lower limits of the toe in specs.

If you have 2 floor jacks and some flat ground it is VERY easy to toe it out a bit.
And I am 99% shure it will not move your wheel off center enough to where it will mess up the ESP. But if it does you already know how to re-center it.

here is the link to a full do it your self front end alignment.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment

I would recommend no more than 3/32 of increased toe out.

But it could be OK. At 4500 miles you are gonna see some feathering on the outside edges of the front tires. And the more agressive you take turns at speed will only make it worse. Do you have any pics?

good luck
Old 11-16-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
If you have 2 floor jacks and some flat ground it is VERY easy to toe it out a bit. And I am 99% shure it will not move your wheel off center enough to where it will mess up the ESP. But if it does you already know how to re-center it.
But it could be OK. At 4500 miles you are gonna see some feathering on the outside edges of the front tires. And the more agressive you take turns at speed will only make it worse. Do you have any pics?

good luck
Here are a couple of pictures. It's difficult to see, but the leading edge of each block is raised slightly. It is only on the outside tread/blocks, and occurs equally all around and on both side.

What do you need 2 floor jacks for to adjust toe?

Thanks for your help.

Attachment 15641
Attachment 15642
Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Other than the toe issue, that is most likely the problem, I have a question...is it on both front tires or just one tire?

The reason I ask is, I had a single tire do that (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R) on my last Jeep, and it was due to seperation of the steal belts inside the tire itself. Just something else to consider.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same thing happen to my BF Goodrich M/T's, just two of them though. I did my tire rotations every 5,000 miles (I have 25,000 on my 2007 Unlimited Rubi). Since I did my own rotations my dealership said they couldn't do anything about it - whatever! I'm a mechanic so I know they were blowing smoke up my backside. So I took my Jeep over to Discount Tire, they gave me $200.00 credit for the tires and I paid the difference for a new set - not bad. Just wasn't expecting to be paying for tires so soon.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might take it to an alignment shop and see where the toe is. Sounds like it may have a tad too much, or maybe you need to slack off on taking turns so hard. The toe should be close to or at zero. I would say 1/4 of a degree would be optimal.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Other than the toe issue, that is most likely the problem, I have a question...is it on both front tires or just one tire?
Both fronts.

Originally Posted by pdiddyblum
Since I did my own rotations my dealership said they couldn't do anything about it - whatever!
I'm surprised they didn't tell you they're voiding the warranty because you rotated your tires!

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You might take it to an alignment shop and see where the toe is. Sounds like it may have a tad too much, or maybe you need to slack off on taking turns so hard. The toe should be close to or at zero. I would say 1/4 of a degree would be optimal.
I just did a quick and dirty tape measure check at the rear and front edge of the tires and at first glance it looks like there's about a 5/16" difference (leading edge of the tires are 5/16" closer together than the trailing edge). It was getting dark so I couldn't see if the tape was being deflected on the back side, but if not, that seems like a big difference.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are are tie rod ends in good shape also ball joints??? Just some suggestions to look at besides getting an alignment check.

Quick Reply: Uneven Tire Wear - Problem?