Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Upgrade Decisions.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Decisions.

Ok so christmas is coming up and im looking to see what new toys i could add to the jk

The problem...Im thinking i want to move to the engine bay...im happy with just about everything on my jeep so far, but my engine just sounds so sissy. I just upgraded to 5.13 supperior gears yesterday and now im looking to get a little more umf. out of my engine.

This is all new to me as i have never tried to beast up an engine. But what options do i have? im not really looking for crazy speed or power. i just want it to sound more wholesome and like a new engine should. I was thinking if maybe a throttle body spacer+new intake+ maybe new headers? I am not sure what does what, i just want a nicer sounding engine. And i thought a volant intake would be kool because i could eventually turn it into a snorkel

Anyway im looking for any ideas even if they dont involve the engine. But what would be best option. And what should i do next? I kinda feel like without taking the jump and spending thousands to get lockers and dana 60's im just looking for other minor upgrades. I need some info

Thanks so much guys

Zack
Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

As for the HEaders I read in an earlier thread that they didn't add anything to the JK I would go with CAI and a Flow max exhaust cat back system. add a super chip the TB spacer. If Money is of no object or you have a loose budget I would go for the turbo or Super Charger that is out for the JK now. But if you wheel alot I would go for the lockers even if its one axle at a time. Good luck on your search
Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by P Nasty
Ok so christmas is coming up and im looking to see what new toys i could add to the jk

The problem...Im thinking i want to move to the engine bay...im happy with just about everything on my jeep so far, but my engine just sounds so sissy. I just upgraded to 5.13 supperior gears yesterday and now im looking to get a little more umf. out of my engine.

This is all new to me as i have never tried to beast up an engine. But what options do i have? im not really looking for crazy speed or power. i just want it to sound more wholesome and like a new engine should. I was thinking if maybe a throttle body spacer+new intake+ maybe new headers? I am not sure what does what, i just want a nicer sounding engine. And i thought a volant intake would be kool because i could eventually turn it into a snorkel

Anyway im looking for any ideas even if they dont involve the engine. But what would be best option. And what should i do next? I kinda feel like without taking the jump and spending thousands to get lockers and dana 60's im just looking for other minor upgrades. I need some info

Thanks so much guys

Zack

Sounds like a CAI of your choice(Volant would be good) and a stainless cat-back would go a long way toward your happiness. Of the exhausts I've seen I'm most interested in the MBRP because you actually get some performance gains and not just looks and sound. You have to be a little careful spending money on exhausts because not all will give you gains(even those that do are only minimal). But if you are going for sound alone go to youtube and listen to some!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

PNASTY after looking at your profile Gosh what else could you add
By the I lived in FB for 35 years before moving down here to Satsuma,Fl.
Hope you Have a great and safe day.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as sounding a bit nicer, I'm assuming you're talking about a louder grow, a good aftermarket exhaust could do that. As far as beasting up the engine. You can spend alot of wasted $$$$ with TB spacers, CAI's intake filters, headers, and the likes, however most of the $$$$ you spend will be wasted.
Outside of internal work to the engine with aftermarket cpmponents, if they're even avalible, the only thing that will beast up the engine is going to be a supercharger or turbocharger. Never seen a turbo for this engine, however they're probably available, but then again, turbo's normally give greater power in the higher rpm range.
Good luck.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

wow thanks for the fat input guys =D

Ok so from what i have heard , im thinking the headers are a dumb decision so i wont go that route. But i already have a cat back dual exhaust which sounds great. But its only in the back. The engine area just sounds gross up front. I want something to bee up the sound in the engine bay. Just so its not so raspy.

The reason i wanted to go with volant is because i could start with the cheaper intake and then when i get some more money i can upgrade it into the snorkel which is something i would want anway. So this kinda helps with the immediate gratification and allows for my long term goal =D

Money is an issue i mean i cant spend thousands but most of the intakes and TBS i have looked at were only a couple hundred thats why i was looking more into that.

My step dad said he can get me a jet chip or hypertech or whatever but i didnt really think that would help with the engine sound really? just performance, right?

Anyway thanks again for all the input guys i really appreciate it.

And how do you guys feel about the TBS? is that really a waste of money? its less than 200 bucks and if it gives me the sound i want i would think its good :P Let me know what you think.

Zack
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FourEyes45
PNASTY after looking at your profile Gosh what else could you add
By the I lived in FB for 35 years before moving down here to Satsuma,Fl.
Hope you Have a great and safe day.
lol ty. And where abouts did you live?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

In my humble opinion...I don't have much cash SO...
I wanted cheap little upgrades that hopefully the sum would be greater than the parts. My real target was any improvement in MPG and at least some noticable power increase. Also nothing permenant since I'm not 100% i'll be keeping the truck at the end of the lease althought that is my plan (never know what might come out )

1. I added the CAI and TBS right away when i got the truck (the TBS was free with the CAI at the time)
The seat of the pants test says..very slight power improvement. Don't know what MPGs stock would have been since I added it right away. I've been averaging 18-19 MPG at least 50% highway driving.

2. I just added the Jet stage one chip. The seat seat of the pants test says...nice improvement but probably because It works well with the CAI& TBS. I hear the air whistling through the TBS much more now too, even at lower RPM's, indicating better low end power probably. Engine also feels stronger and sounds less...chaotic. Too soon to tell about MPG but it always makes me want to drive it more aggressively...

3. Next I want to add a better exhaust (stock is already rusty anyway). My expectation here is again slight further increase in power and MPG for a minimal cost.

In all i can say I'm satisfied that all the improvements made a positive difference.

Edit: Oh and I've always believed in synthetic oil it makes the engine rev easier and improves efficiency. I recommend it to aid in power and MPG as well.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 11-16-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ibjeepr
In my humble opinion...I don't have much cash SO...
I wanted cheap little upgrades that hopefully the sum would be greater than the parts. My real target was any improvement in MPG and at least some noticable power increase. Also nothing permenant since I'm not 100% i'll be keeping the truck at the end of the lease althought that is my plan (never know what might come out )

1. I added the CAI and TBS right away when i got the truck (the TBS was free with the CAI at the time)
The seat of the pants test says..very slight power improvement. Don't know what MPGs stock would have been since I added it right away. I've been averaging 18-19 MPG at least 50% highway driving.

2. I just added the Jet stage one chip. The seat seat of the pants test says...nice improvement but probably because It works well with the CAI& TBS. I hear the air whistling through the TBS much more now too, even at lower RPM's, indicating better low end power probably. Engine also feels stronger and sounds less...chaotic. Too soon to tell about MPG but it always makes me want to drive it more aggressively...

3. Next I want to add a better exhaust (stock is already rusty anyway). My expectation here is again slight further increase in power and MPG for a minimal cost.

In all i can say I'm satisfied that all the improvements made a positive difference.

Edit: Oh and I've always believed in synthetic oil it makes the engine rev easier and improves efficiency. I recommend it to aid in power and MPG as well.
a
h ok so you do think the TBS is a good thing? god to know =D

thanks for the help
Old 11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

well for me the price for the TBS was right, it was free with the CAI. I can't single out how much a differnce the TBS made on its own as it was added with the CAI.. I'm not sure i'd have paid for the TBS at full cost.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Decisions.