Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper and lower control arm brackets

Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_AustinJKU
Rancho brackets think it improves ride quality as drastically as some make it out?
Agree with nthinnuf above. Only thing I'd add is that Rancho is not providing any better ride than the other brackets out there......they're all doing the same thing, but, the Rancho is a convenient 1-piece making install nicer.

I never had brackets myself. Drove on factory arms with considerable lift for a couple years. It just seemed normal to me cuz that was all I knew. When I finally added adjustable arms, it was night and day difference. Moving from ~2.8* caster to about 4.3* caster was a dramatic difference. More about proper caster than the method with which is it accomplished.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I'll share my experience with the HF torque wrenches. They're better than nothing, especially for the price.

I got their 1/4in, 3/8in and 1/2in torque wrenches. I used the 1/2in doing my lift and the 1/4in when doing my LIM gasket. Both stripped the gears and became very unreliable near the end of each job. I exchanged both, and got replacements. I haven't had to use the 3/8in yet, but expect the same.

What I would suggest for the suspension parts, is to use a breaker bar and get the HF 1/2in digital torgue reader. The digital is much more accurate and holds up much better than the gears in their torque wrenches which seem to be sh*t.

Nothing worse than applying pressure on a torque wrench and either You snap a bolt due to it not clicking or the Wrench free spins unexectantly while you're apply 100ft-lbs of pressure on it. Both of which have happened to me with the HF torque wrenches.

So I currently have 3 unused ones, since they'll do in a pinch for a bolt here and there, but more often than not I rather use their digital torque wrench adapter.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
What I would suggest for the suspension parts, is to use a breaker bar and get the HF 1/2in digital torgue reader..
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ter-63917.html

That looks pretty nifty actually. I've never had an issue with my 1/2" Kobalt, but when I need something for a lighter setting....there have been a couple times I've questioned if my 3/8 drive actually clicked or if I was imagining it....cuz sometimes it feels like too much or too little.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ter-63917.html

That looks pretty nifty actually. I've never had an issue with my 1/2" Kobalt, but when I need something for a lighter setting....there have been a couple times I've questioned if my 3/8 drive actually clicked or if I was imagining it....cuz sometimes it feels like too much or too little.
Here's a pretty good review and demo of it. It mentions a 2nd use for it, in using it to calibrate your torque wrenches, which is something I use it for as well since I don't trust the HF torque wrenches but this digital device seems pretty accurate and I trust the readings more. I put it in my vise as mentioned and then check my HF torque wrenches to see if they're working properly or need some adjustment.

I'ld like to get a smaller one which reads In-lbs for 1/4in drive uses.

Oh yeah, it has a life-time warranty as well just like their $10 torque wrenches. The $10 torque wrenches I've used those warranties after each use of the wrenches, where this thing just continues to work.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-14-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Upper and lower control arm brackets