Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

using high lift on stock jk 2.5

Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using high lift on stock jk 2.5

what would be the anchor point to use when using a high lift on a jk with no aftermarket bumpers or no rock sliders?
I have 2.5 teraflex on my jeep and 33 tires so im wondering about this.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Nothing really.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get the tire loop/hook atachment.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Do you have a hitch?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I suppose I better don my flame suit. I really don't like hi lift jacks. They are heavy. They won't fit under the vehicle, They fail to function if they are unmaintained. Some of the failure modes are just plain scary. And those things can screw up a body panel during recovery antics worse than anything I have ever seen short of a roll over.

They are useful on occasion, but I have wheeled without one for three years now. For most normal tire duties, you can use a stock jack. For a blown bead I still use a stock jack and swap to a spare. Sooner or later I will need to jack in mud or sand and wish I had a poorly maintained hi lift jack to save me.

I already know I am an idiot, and I am the responsible party that does not maintain my hi lift. Tell me again if you wish.

Oh yea, the question ... You can make a sling out of spliced synth winch line or a tree strap. The tree strap always worked well for me and was the most configurable. You will need an extra tree strap so you can winch to a tree while balancing on the hi lift. How else will you punch a square edged hole in your door?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adaycj
I suppose I better don my flame suit. I really don't like hi lift jacks. They are heavy. They won't fit under the vehicle, They fail to function if they are unmaintained. Some of the failure modes are just plain scary. And those things can screw up a body panel during recovery antics worse than anything I have ever seen short of a roll over.

They are useful on occasion, but I have wheeled without one for three years now. For most normal tire duties, you can use a stock jack. For a blown bead I still use a stock jack and swap to a spare. Sooner or later I will need to jack in mud or sand and wish I had a poorly maintained hi lift jack to save me.

I already know I am an idiot, and I am the responsible party that does not maintain my hi lift. Tell me again if you wish.

Oh yea, the question ... You can make a sling out of spliced synth winch line or a tree strap. The tree strap always worked well for me and was the most configurable. You will need an extra tree strap so you can winch to a tree while balancing on the hi lift. How else will you punch a square edged hole in your door?
no you are not an idiot.
High-lifts are the devil, they are unstable and I have almost been killed a few times when I HAD to use one.

I have a floor jack with the wheels removed and a flat base welded on it for 99% of all my off-road jacking needs.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 AM
gcg
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adaycj

I pretty much agree with what you said. I still carry one but have never really had to use it, except in the garage or driveway. And then it scraped the side of my Jeep on several occassions. And I caught my finger between it and the bodywork once.

I suppose someday it may come in handy and I suppose I'll keep lugging it around with me but I do wonder why.

Quick Reply: using high lift on stock jk 2.5