Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Vibration in Front End. (U-Joint?)

Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in Front End. (U-Joint?)

I have a 2009 4-door with 3" of lift on 33s with 90k miles.
There's a vibration in my front end/drivetrain. I don't believe it's a wheel bearing, doesn't sound/feel/act like one (from my experience). I can feel it on the floor boards and pedals, you start to feel and hear it around 25mph and it gets slightly louder as you accelerate but basically stays constant. I've noticed there's some slop with my front driveshaft when in park.
Also, when I turn sharp to the left (parked or going slow) theres a wheezing like sound that comes from my front left end.
She does see a lot of dirt and has been wheeled a lot.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ThePeaches289
I have a 2009 4-door with 3" of lift on 33s with 90k miles.
There's a vibration in my front end/drivetrain. I don't believe it's a wheel bearing, doesn't sound/feel/act like one (from my experience). I can feel it on the floor boards and pedals, you start to feel and hear it around 25mph and it gets slightly louder as you accelerate but basically stays constant. I've noticed there's some slop with my front driveshaft when in park.
Also, when I turn sharp to the left (parked or going slow) theres a wheezing like sound that comes from my front left end.
She does see a lot of dirt and has been wheeled a lot.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have a 2007 4-door with 100k miles and recently mine has been making the same kind of noise, more of a rattle. It happens when I'm accelerating at 2krpm but only there. If I keep it higher than that it only does it in passing of 2krpm. A guy who is very knowledgeable with cars/jeeps told me it sounded like a heat shield was rattling against the exhaust running under the Jeep (possibly from getting banged when off road). I plan on checking that out this weekend, but maybe something you can check? Just an idea..
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good way to check the u-joint is with the jeep off and on solid ground lay under the jeep. With one hand rotate the driveshaft back and forth. Put your other hand on the u-joint and feel for play.

Also just look at joint and check to see if all the clips are still there.

Another thing to do is with the jeep turned on have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the suspension and steering parts of any odd movement. I recently found a loose control arm bolt this way.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by JKUCH5
I have a 2007 4-door with 100k miles and recently mine has been making the same kind of noise, more of a rattle. It happens when I'm accelerating at 2krpm but only there. If I keep it higher than that it only does it in passing of 2krpm. A guy who is very knowledgeable with cars/jeeps told me it sounded like a heat shield was rattling against the exhaust running under the Jeep (possibly from getting banged when off road). I plan on checking that out this weekend, but maybe something you can check? Just an idea..
Thanks for your response. It's not a rattling sound. I'll check after work tho to rule out.

Originally Posted by JeepingNet
A good way to check the u-joint is with the jeep off and on solid ground lay under the jeep. With one hand rotate the driveshaft back and forth. Put your other hand on the u-joint and feel for play.

Also just look at joint and check to see if all the clips are still there.

Another thing to do is with the jeep turned on have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the suspension and steering parts of any odd movement. I recently found a loose control arm bolt this way.
I'll give it a look over this evening. I'm really thinking it's a u-joint in my ds or axle. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the responses!!
If anyone else has experienced something similar I'd appreciate further input
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

It's the u joint in the axle on the passenger side FYI. Thanks again for your responses

Quick Reply: Vibration in Front End. (U-Joint?)