Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Viper Throttle Body Dyno Sheet

Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by High&Low
No mods on the jeep besides what is listed and AFR's are also shown. Besides the random nature of the codes being thrown on some guys Jeeps. 21hp for 140.00 is still a great deal!
I don't buy the 21hp claim. Even with a cai and exhaust it seems a little far fetched...maybe I'm wrong. Now if you add a high flow cat I would say definitely...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Viper Throtle body is so good why it is not use in the Jeep from the factory?

Why spend money and research to make a Throtle body for the Jeep. If there is the Viper one that can be used by the manufacturer?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tuto
If the Viper Throtle body is so good why it is not use in the Jeep from the factory?

Why spend money and research to make a Throtle body for the Jeep. If there is the Viper one that can be used by the manufacturer?

Because it is designed so supply air to feed a 450+hp V-10, not a mini van motor...
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Because it is designed so supply air to feed a 450+hp V-10, not a mini van motor...
You are missing my point. If it works with the 3.8 engine and the gains are so good(more horse power and torque) way not. Money will be safe by the maker instead of having a different one made for the 3.8 they could use the same as the viper.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm guessing all the gains are based on leaning out the a/f ratio. Other portions of the tune get skewed, resulting in the issues you always read about. A tuner like Superchips leans out the a/f as well, but also adjusts the spark and VE tables. I will bet anyone dozens of dollars that the Viper throttle body will net zero gains if compared to a fully tuned 'stock' JK.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ryan L
I'm guessing all the gains are based on leaning out the a/f ratio. Other portions of the tune get skewed, resulting in the issues you always read about. A tuner like Superchips leans out the a/f as well, but also adjusts the spark and VE tables. I will bet anyone dozens of dollars that the Viper throttle body will net zero gains if compared to a fully tuned 'stock' JK.
Pretty much...
Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuto
You are missing my point. If it works with the 3.8 engine and the gains are so good(more horse power and torque) why (sp) not. Money will be saved (sp) by the maker instead of having a different one made for the 3.8. They could use the same as the viper.
Probably for the same reason our JKs don't come from the factory with either a SC or Hypertech tuner. Or headers. Or a free flowing exhaust. Or a CAI. Those increase power, mileage, and driveability.

BTW, I have been running mine for almost a year now on my DD with NO problems. Gained throttle response and about 1 mpg after installing.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Too bad it causes so many problems...
Not so. The only one's I have seen who have had problems are those running a SC tuner.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

It seems like it would lean it out too much. I'd be curious if the jk used for the dyno test had any other mods or tuning done
No more so than a CAI. They both work on the same principle. Allow more air in.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is anyone running the tb on a 2011?

Quick Reply: Viper Throttle Body Dyno Sheet